• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ap. Blue Steel Update

Ig1988

5 Year Member
As some of you may be aware from some of my previous threads my only apisto's are a four Apistogramma Blue Steel (previously three).

Well since my last posts quite a bit has happened with my Blue steel I am now 100% sure the two fish sold to me as females are 100% females. However the fish sold as a male i dont know. Part of me thinks female part of me thinks female, the more i look at it i think it may be a male but maybe a runt? It doesnt look like the other fish has no interest in breeding and is still much smaller than the others also it behaviour is slightly different. I am sure it is blue steel but i think it maybe slightly deformed.

The agression coming from my 2 females and the lack of interest been shown from the supposed male forced me into buying a new male from the same LFS. My new male is much larger has longer fins and is much more attractive than the other one it was the most dominant male in the tank.

Ever since introducing this fish to the tank things have completely changed. From the fist minite in the tank it was displaying to the most dominant female who then went a yellow colour and spawned the day later. This attempt was unsuccessful due to a clown loach gaining access to the cave and eating the eggs, which i witnessed.

The male then moved his attentions to the less dominant female who chose her cave and then blocked the entrance with sand so there was only a slight gap. This female has been in the cave for the past few days and hasnt came out. Today I managed to shine a light through the gap in the cave and have seen a small pile maybe 25 or so WRIGGLERS!!

Hopefully no clown loach gain entrance and they make free swimming stage. I am not really that bothered about keeping the fry (due to only having one tank) but if some managed to survive through some miracle i wouldnt complain.

I have tried to get some pictures but it is very hard, maybe if she brings them out into open water i might be able to then.

Ill keep you posted.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Blue steel

Hi all,
Congratulations Ig1988, I don't see any reason why some might not survive if you have a weedy enough tank. I also don't think you would have any problem in selling them to other hobbyists, as females are still in short supply (at least in the UK).

They will almost certainly spawn again, so it might be worth getting another small tank set up for growing on (plenty of second hand ones knocking about in the UK, including some on freecycle), and some micro and grindal worm cultures for feeding to the fry.

My most local LFS, (Leekes at Melksham) is now a branch of Maidenhead Aquatics, I went in yesterday to have a look at he the new stock, and I mentioned to one of the staff that the Apistogramma "borellii" (£11 a pair), were both all male and all A. "blue-steel".

The response was interesting, as he informed me that I had no idea what I was talking about, and if I wasn't interested in buying anything would I like to leave the shop!

cheers Darrel

ste12000

5 Year Member
The response was interesting, as he informed me that I had no idea what I was talking about, and if I wasn't interested in buying anything would I like to leave the shop!

cheers Darrel

Ha ha, if someone had spoke to me like that i would be back there the next day with tons of pictures printed out and my trusty mergus cichlid atlas to prove the ****** wrong!! Then i would demand a appology:):):)

How many fish shop assistants know their Apistogramma?? my shops the same but ive never been spoken to like that before..

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Apparently that fish shop must not be feeling the effects of the deep recession.
How odd for a dealer of non-essential commodities to take such a cavalier attitude in these times where it would seem making customers feel welcome is the only correct way to respond.
Oh well, know that there are many such shops who's arrogance knows no bounds. I had a fish shop when I was young for 6 years and my parents taught me that the customer is always right, at least until they spent some money and walked out the door.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I was a little bit disappointed, particularly as I actually did take some info about "Blue-steel" for the previous staff.

I will try talking to the manager, as if you buy a pair of "A. borellii" and they turn out to be 2 male "blue-steels" you won't be very happy (That's how I got my first Apisto's, and I wasn't very happy).

I went in originally this time hoping to find out if they were interested in taking any A. cacatuoides juveniles, as they are literally 10 minutes from home for me, and I know Maidenhead Aquatics tend to stock at least some of the more unusual stuff (it's all Malawis here, because the tap water is so hard).

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….