• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ap bitaeniata "fear" ??

Melvin_Lim

5 Year Member
hi all

got this pair a couple of months back.
the tank was labelled as a.bit "fear" but so far i cannot find anything on the net with regards to "fear".

anyone can provide some info and positive id?

pics taken on the day i brought them home.

male

bit_fear_male1a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/elimmel/Apistos/bit_fear_male1.jpg

female

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/elimmel/Apistos/bit_fear_female1a.jpg

thanks

Neil

Melvin_Lim,

I have replaced IMG tags with URL tags for 2 or your pics. Please refer to the image posting rules for the forum.

I have not heard of "fear" either, but that doesn't suprise me a great deal, as there are so many names that are thrown about for all of the various species, species-forms and color-morphs in this genus that it is impossible to keep up. Your fish appears to me to be a Peruvian form, probably in the "blue" catagory. However, I do not know a collection location. Maybe Mike has more on this.

Neil

fatcow82much

5 Year Member
Hey,
I dont know for sure but on a peruvian wholesale list i saw these guys listed and asked why the name fear and i guesse George Fear from the Margarita tour company found these in Peru.

Hope this helps and hope its true...
Bobby

George Fear

Yes, I stumbled on this strain of Apistogramma bitaeniata around 2000 while collecting north of Pevas, Peru. The originals had an obvious red line parallel to the primary lateral line, high on the back. I don't think the area is collected anymore, but I might try again this summer.

George Fear

Along the way, you pass the type location for the newly described Apistogramma ortegai; a dynamite little fish.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….