• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone know what this is?

Randall

5 Year Member
A. sp. "Steel Blue"

Dear Don,

As far as I know, A. sp. "Steel Blue" is a hybrid developed in Singapore. This fish does not exist in nature.

The only specimens I have ever seen are males. Apparantly, the developers want to protect their commercial interest and only export males to prevent anyone else from breeding them.

Randall Kohn

Z Man

5 Year Member
Don, I don'y think Julio imports any fish to Peru. If you did get them from him, ask him if he collected them in the wild.

Aquatico

5 Year Member
I showed Julio a pic and he told me the same thing Randell said. I got them from a LFS. I can get them. I think they are called Apisto. Neon on my lists from Singapore.

Don

Neil

Ya, these guys are showing up all over the place. I see them fairly regularly in the LFSs for only about $3.95. So they must be pumping them out to always only ship males here. I think that they are a cross between a commbrae and a borellii of some sort, but I am not sure.
Neil

kribs

5 Year Member
Dave is right about that. A LFS had a couple of these a while back about 6 months ago to be exact. The owner said they were a cross between a borelli and a reticulosa. the fish were coming out of chez republic. I bought a couple and the males were no problem to keep but i coudnt keep the females alive for some reason.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Dear All,

I read Romer's Cichlid Altas I and there are a few pages on
A. sp. "Steel Blue"... Romer just said that the origin of this
fish was unknown and it was first imported from Singapore...

This fish can be found in Hong Kong with a very very very
low price. Again, it seems to me that ALL the fish available
in the retail market are male.

Here, I just want to reconfirm whether this fish is totally a
man-made hybrid instead of a natural species...

Any ideas on its true identity will be most welcome.

Randall

5 Year Member
Apistogramma. sp. "Steel Blue"

Hello Blueblue,

If you conduct a search of the forum using the key words "Steel Blue," a slew of information will come up. This hybridized form and its derivation has been discussed many times before.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I'm no fan of hybrids at all. But if you get to looking around most swordtails are hybrids as well. I was reading this months issue of TFH onthe swordtail and had neer giving it a secound thought that there was that many hybrids on the market. But 3/4's of swordstails,plattys , even plecos have a huge fellowing and must of those are hybrids as well.
Now I was shocked at that. I have heard that stellblue is a cross bred of three differnt spices Ap.Broelli, Ap.reticulosa, Ap. Eunotus . Now if I remenber right the males used to bred this hybrid was the Eunotus and then the females of the other two. Also the way I under stand it it's not that only males are shipped it's that 99% of the fry come out male for some reason and then the fry is breed with the females of the other spices again to insure the blues blood line. All this info I got onthe Blue come from aguy I know that has worked for a hatchery in singapor.
Now I can't back the info other then a hear say but that's just the info I have . So I guess if someone has better and can proof my info differnt fine by me cause I can prove mine to be ture other then calling my buddie. LOL

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nobody knows (or at least willing to say) what species were used to produce the Steel-blue Apisto. I have never heard of A. cf. eunotus being used. They have hardly anything in common with Steel-blues. Most authors believe it is a mix of a caetei-complex form & a resticulosa-complex form. I doubt if we will ever know. We might be surprised some day & discover that it is some highly inbred colorful form of just a single species (but I doubt it).

fishfarm

5 Year Member
Here they are sold as Blue Borellii, a guy in our club got some wild female Borellii from me and breed them to the blue males and they produced blue fish with yellow faces. Ken

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….