• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any Pics of Agassizi 'Blue Tail'??

Big G

5 Year Member
Hi folks,

I have been offered some Ap. Agassizi 'BlueTail' and am struggling to find any pics on the interweb. Just wondered if any of you good folk had kept any, and more particularly if any of you have any photo's you could share of them?

Also, does anyone know what their origins are?

Thanks in advance.
G!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is just a descriptive name. I'd assume it is an agassizii with a blue tail. If it is a wild fish, then the offspring could have many different colors on the caudal. This is a highly polychromatic species that can produce many colors in the same population/spawn. Domestic strains commonly are sufficiently inbred to produce a more or less consistent color form.

Big G

5 Year Member
Yer, unfortunately, I am unsure of the actual origins of this fish? I saw one as it arrived, so it was not fully coloured up, but they appear to have an orange caudal with a blue/black rim. The body colouration is very basic, but with a wonderful blue tinge to the scales. Not irredesent, but just a kind of tint of deep metallic blue.

I'm just trying to get some more info on them, and wondered if any of this forums peeps had kept something similar?

Regards
G!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The description seem to be of one of the domestic red-tailed strains. There are dozens of them. Question: If the male has an orange tail with blue/black edges, why is it called "A. agassizii Blue-tail"???

Big G

5 Year Member
This is my very question too Mike? I believe that this may be similar if not hte same as an American bred strain called 'Bluetail Red Top', but again this shows up just as few a number of results?

Have you heard of those?

Regards
G!

sonaj1930

5 Year Member
Is this the one you are talking about?
IMGP2622.jpg

IMGP2608.jpg

Cheers
sonaj

Big G

5 Year Member
I don't think they are the ones? As I say though, I only saw them on arrival, and they had not coloured up fully. They are also very young fish, so the males are only just becoming 'easily' noticable.

The black lateral line is still very notable on the ones I saw, and extends deep into the caudal fin. The body was also more of a dark brown with a dark blue overcast than the pics you have shown, but not irredescent. Fins are more of a burnt Orange/brown colour at present, but again this could just be due to not being fully settled at the dealer?

I'lll see if I can get some pics next time I'm there? They do seem attractive, despite their less 'colourful' appearance, and seem much closer to 'wild caught' fish than the usual colour morphs available? I doubt though that they are even close to wild, since the importer tells me they are a strain that has been established for the past 12 years. They are however a first time import here.

Thanks for all your replies so far though!

Regards
G!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Again, 'Bluetail Red Top' is only a descriptive term. I see many aggies from Peru with a blue caudal and red/orange dorsal. This is not a distinct strain/population.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….