• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any body know what type of apicto is this.

bir123

Need the nam so one of my bro cud order a pair for me.plezz help me.
uploadfromtaptalk1408997226236.jpg

regani

5 Year Member
It is an A. cacatuoides, but it may be difficult to get one that looks just like it as there are a large number of man made strains out there.
They are usually bred for more red and black in their fins (double red, triple red etc.) and there are also varieties available that have orange fins without any black (e.g. orange flash) or have a pale yellow body (gold). The above could even be close to a wild form, or a form bred for long extensions on the dorsal fins.

bir123

Any advice on how to setup the aquarium for them.Have a 2ft by 1ft by 1ft with a tetra pf10 filter and a sponge filter.Have acess to lots of plants .which plants do the best and also what do you guys recomend for the substrate and deco

regani

5 Year Member
Fine sand is best as a substrate as apistos like to sift through that in the search of food. Plants are up to you depending on how much time you are willing to spent on maintenance. A. cacatuoides are not that fussy about the water, just stay away from heavy fertilising regimes. The sand substrate limits the choice of plants a bit but you can use root tabs to keep them going.
As far as decor is concerned, if you want to breed them you will need a few caves for the female to choose from and lay the eggs in. Driftwood and plants to break line of sight and provide cover. A pair or trio would work in a tank that size if enough cover is provided.
Apistos don't really like strong currents, so if you want to use both filters make sure there is not too much of that, otherwise you can go with just the sponge.
Other small fish can be kept with the apistos. Avoid catfish including cories as they will compete with the apistos for the same spaces and will cause problems. If you don't mind losing some (or all) fry tetras, danios, barbs etc will work. If you want to ensure fry survival pencil fish, hatchet fish, or some of the rasboras used for nano tank will work. With some of the fish mentioned above you will have to be a bit more careful with the water parameters.
hth

bir123

Thanks alot i am planning to use the sponge and tetra filter for the parents and when they spawn turn off the tetra..can i use small clay pots as caves for them.The tank will be apisto only but can i add a pair of albino bristle nose plec to the tank or they will eat the eggs.

Pic soon

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
"but can i add a pair of albino bristle nose plec to the tank or they will eat the eggs."
If they can get into the spawning cave they will eat the eggs.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Is this your photo? I think I've seen it, or one similar to it, before. Anyway, this is what we would now call a 'Single-red' (red spots only on the caudal). This was the strain from which Double/Triple-red cacatuoides was developed back in the early 1980s. I doubt that anyone actually produces Single-reds anymore. I have collected similar looking specimens in Colombia & Peru, however, but only with red spots in the top lobe of the caudal fin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….