• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another peat question

Griz

5 Year Member
After using granular peat in my filter for a couple years I finally began experimenting with the real thing; 100% Canadian peat (the stuff that looks like dirt)

I've been experimenting in an empty 15 gallon tank for several weeks and now I want to start doing this on a bigger scale. After doing some research I have decided on the following plan. I have a 40gal, food grade, plastic drum that I'll be using with an airstone, perhaps 2. The peat will go into a thin cotton pillowcase (unless I find something better) and then into the drum. I'll be using about 15 gallons a week which I'll siphon off. The spent peat will go into the garden. The water is dark but I've never minded stained water, in fact I've come to love it. :) Does this sound like a plan? Any advice would be appreciated.
_
I do have a second question: I've been doing this on a smaller scale in this 15g, removing 1/2 the total volume at a time for water changes in my community tank. I have been able to keep available water that is pH 7.0, GH 4-5, KH 2 pretty consistently and should be able to do at least as well in the 40gal drum. (my tapwater is 7.8, GH10, KH5 which was fine for the cacatuoides I kept) Now this 15g tank will now be available and I'd like get a pair of apistos to try my hand at some proper breeding. What species would you suggest for me with those water parrameters? I've done research but, I seem to see a lot of variation in what parameters are suggested for different species. I've also read that although I may be able to theoretically breed many species that m/f ratios could be affected if they are outside their preferred parameters. I'd like some real-world advice from you, what do you think would would be somewhat challenging and would do well in the water I have to work with.

Thanks

AdamT

5 Year Member
I haven't done peat. I'm curious about it. How long can you use it for before it's used up?

I had a problem with sex ratio skewing in offspring. Ph can effect the ratio, but evidently tempurature (easy to change, at least easy to raise) has a greater effect. See here: http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/ph-temp-sex.html I'm still conditioning a female to breed in a warmer tank to test this info, so I don't have experience trying to exploit this info yet.

-A

Griz

5 Year Member
AdamT said:
I haven't done peat. I'm curious about it. How long can you use it for before it's used up?

I had a problem with sex ratio skewing in offspring. Ph can effect the ratio, but evidently tempurature (easy to change, at least easy to raise) has a greater effect. See here: http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/ph-temp-sex.html I'm still conditioning a female to breed in a warmer tank to test this info, so I don't have experience trying to exploit this info yet.

-A

It really depends on many factors so it's hard to give an answer. How much peat you use, it's quality, etc. Peat bought in bulk like this is extremely inexpensive though and it seems that it can be reused a couple times anyway.

Thanks for that link. I believe I read that before some time ago and yes, temperature seems to have a greater effect on m/f ratios. I'm looking for fish that are well suited to the water I have rather than trying to breed something that a bit outside it's ideal conditions.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Better

Griz said:
The peat will go into a thin cotton pillowcase (unless I find something better)

I would sugest trying ladies pantyhose. This seemed to work well with charcoal in an old canister filter for me.:) :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….