• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another Apistogramma ID ??

cawa1031

5 Year Member
Another Apistogramma ID ?? (yesterday comes a good news!!)

update pictures (2005 05/04)
see #12

male:
tmp2.jpg

tmp3.jpg

tmp4.jpg

female:
tmp5.jpg

It looks like Apistogramma piauiensis....
Also like Apistogramma caetei....

Cawa

blueblue

5 Year Member
From its red face and the face pattern,
I reckon that it's an Apistogramma caetei ^.^

cawa1031 said:
male:
tmp2.jpg

tmp3.jpg

tmp4.jpg

female:
tmp5.jpg

It looks like Apistogramma piauiensis....
Also like Apistogramma caetei....

Cawa

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is neither A. caetei nor A. piauiensis. I cannot say for sure what species it is. Extra information would really help. Do you know what country it is from (possibly the lower Amazon of Brazil?). Any other information can be helpful. Can you send a better photo of the female that shows her tail?

Based on what is see right now, my guess is that it belong to the Xingu-complex of the regani-group. It is very similar to A. sp. Xingu, but I have never seen a male Xingu with so much red on the face. Are these wild fish?

cawa1031

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
It is neither A. caetei nor A. piauiensis. I cannot say for sure what species it is. Extra information would really help. Do you know what country it is from (possibly the lower Amazon of Brazil?). Any other information can be helpful. Can you send a better photo of the female that shows her tail?

Based on what is see right now, my guess is that it belong to the Xingu-complex of the regani-group. It is very similar to A. sp. Xingu, but I have never seen a male Xingu with so much red on the face. Are these wild fish?

Dear Mike:
At first , I greatly appreciate your reply !

Here are the pictures of female:
fe_1.jpg

fe_2.jpg

fe_3.jpg

The ID of these fish has discussed in 2~3 forums in Taiwan
but still have no conclusion...
The owner of the fish is one of my friends
now I just know he got the fish last year when they are still very small...
I will soon contact the owner and ask him for more information...

I also found a page in Japan:
Apistogramma sp "Paje_xingu" from Xingu Altamira
http://www.rva.ne.jp/apisto/paje_xingu.html
it's a male Xingu with much red on the face...

Also thanks blueblue~
I really like your passion for apistos
and I hope you can come to our forum more often...
http://www.aquabook.idv.tw/cgi-bin/forums.cgi?forum=7

Cawa

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks for the photos of the female. The females show that they belong to the regani-complex of the regani-group. I am fairly certain that the species pictured is a population of A. geisleri, possibly one from around Obidos, Brazil. This population has a lot of red on the face, like your males'.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Cawa for your kind words. Will try to stop by the forum and share with you experts from taiwan. Cheers ^.^

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My pictures are not as beautiful as yours, but could we have te same fish?

No, your fish as a narrower, more zigzag lateral band edge, narrower vertical bars, and a differently shaped caudal spot. Your fish also does not have the prominent stripes on the caudal fin.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….