• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Amazon biotope

mikewang

5 Year Member
i want to create a amazon biotope. but i need to confirm on some fish origin first. im working with 10gallon so no cichlids except dwarf cichlids.

im currently planning for:
black water.
30watts of light.
flourite red
hopefully lots of driftwood

fish:
cardinal tetras
w/ blue rams or apistos. they do live with cardinals in the wild right?

any suggestions on creating a more natural tank? too bad im unable to get oak leaves at this time of year. also mopani wood is from africa right?

skh

5 Year Member
Hi,

any suggestions on creating a more natural tank?

I think it would be usefull to differentiate between species that live within the same kind of water (e.g blackwater) and species that can be found within the same habitat. Wolfgang Staeck, as he mentioned in several articles in german magazines, caught fish of the family Lebiasinidae as well as many Rivulus species together with Apistogramma species. Also microhabitats differ from species to species.

Hard to tell

Stefan

M0oN

5 Year Member
A large amount of black water biotypes are nothing but dead tree roots, mud and leaves...

You need to decide on a species of apistogramma and go from there, rather then trying to create a biotype and then find an apisto to suit it...

Neil

skh,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I think it would be usefull to differentiate between species that live within the same kind of water (e.g blackwater) and species that can be found within the same habitat. Wolfgang Staeck, as he mentioned in several articles in german magazines, caught fish of the family Lebiasinidae as well as many Rivulus species together with Apistogramma species. Also microhabitats differ from species to species.

Stephan,
Good point. Are you from Germany?

Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldMouck

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….