• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Alternate first food for fries

kray

5 Year Member
Hi people,

Need some suggestions on alternate first food (non-live) for apisto fries. I am trying to avoid live feed like baby brine strimps. I have tried Sera Mikropan, but I think they are too large for days-old free swimming fries.

cdawson

5 Year Member
BBS are pretty much it, otherwise you're just going to be met with massive fry loss. Besides, hatching BS is so easy and cost efficient that it's actually cheaper to do it.

fishgeek

frozen cyclops can be useful

i think the biggest positive thing about live is that the movement seems to attract the newly feeding fry

otherwise crushing any of the commercial food fine will be ok though fry dont seem to take to these aswell

Woody

5 Year Member
Microworms

I use to feed my fry BBS but switched over to microworms. Very easy to culitvate, I actually keep five batches on rotation. Microworms live longer in the aquarium than BBS thus having live moving food in front of the fry most of the day.
With it's minute size it is excellent even for the tinest of fry. I have had great success with the last three batches of borelli fry, and continue feeding the microworms to the fry as they grow.
I have three tanks full 1/2 to one inch pelvicahcromis fry, and I use microworms with a pinch of round up flake food in it, and have not had one single loss since they started free swimming.

Just my opinion

Woody

cdawson

5 Year Member
I've tried microworms, but Grade A BS own over microworms anyday.
Microworms are only really good as a subsitute if you don't have any BS available, it's more suited as a first food for tetra or killi fry.

I agree they tend to go for the movement more often, which is why they often don't accept non live foods.

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
I have had good luck with micro worms as a first food. The fish will accept them and grow but my favorite is still bbs. The fry just grow faster on bbs than micro worms. I am guessing the brine shrimp have a higher nutrition value.
Trevor

kray

5 Year Member
I was asking about non-live feed... I suppose there is not much of choice here. Anyone try feeding fries with egg or egg yolk?

cdawson

5 Year Member
kray said:
I was asking about non-live feed... I suppose there is not much of choice here. Anyone try feeding fries with egg or egg yolk?

It's extremely messy and not recommended on smaller fry tanks and definately not unless you're performing large partial water changes daily. Again, it still comes down to fry only going after something moving, apisto fry don't really do well sans live food.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….