• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Albino Pulcher Spawn

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
My albino kribs let their first batch of hatchlings out of their cave today. I noticed that some are solid clear/white, some are normal krib color and some look to be in between the others in color, having a white body and light gray markings. I dont know wether they will come out albino or regular, but it will be interesting to watch. I've usually keep regular kribs and once had an albino male pair'd off with a standard female, this is my first pair in which both parents are albino.

On an interesting note the pair with the albino male and standard female once threw a fry that grew up to be half and half. I've never seen that in a fish before. The front half was white and the back half was standard with the split between being even right down the center. Wish I had a pic of that one, but its been over 8 years since then. He never spawned so I never got to see what would have happened if he had. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening before? I know similar things have appeared in crayfish.

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
it can sometimes take a few generations of line breeding to get true throwing albino's. i have a pair that I got from Ted last year, they spawn constantly! I got my breeder points for them, so now I dont really try to raise the fry, they usually get eaten quite fast. However, every single fry from every single spawn has been albino. Maybe Ted will explain a little more on how to get your pure line

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Genn, you have the much rarer leucistic kribs. I am not sure how the genetics works with that gene. Albinism is a dominant gene in kribs, so two heterozygous albino kribs will produce wild type and albino. Homozygous albino kribs are also quite rare, because they rarely survive. This may change over time as it has in other species with homozygous traits that are less fit. When two heterozygous kribs breed the ratio in the offspring looks like a 2:1 albino to wild type, but the reality is that the homozygous albinos (25% of the offspring) are not surviving. The Heterozygous albinos (50% of the offspring) are more fit.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….