• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Albino apistos...

DH247

5 Year Member
So has anyone come across albino apistos? I currently have 2-3 completely white and pale trifasciata fry from my last spawn. Just wondering what others experiences with them are. It was odd cuz mum shoo-ed them away from the rest of the fry! I personally think they're pretty neat and I am looking forward to seeing them when they grow out some more. The biggest is shy of the 1/4" mark.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hope you are raising them together but separate from the other fry. They will grow better that way.

The only photos that I have seen of true albino apistos (with red eyes) are A. cacatuoides. Careful breeders see them on rare occasions, but they don't usually survive among normal colored fry. The photos of mature A. cacatuoides males that I have seen show an all white body and fins except for some orange spots on the caudal fin. From what I've read, these albinos don't breed for some reason. Maybe it is that females avoid them - females initiate every courtship after all - or that they are sterile or don't see well enough to recognize and engage in the courtship ritual.

If you can raise your fry, it would be wonderful to experiment with breeding them & observe how they respond to courtship.

DH247

5 Year Member
Very interesting.... I currently do not have the space to put them in their own tank... so in the meantime I try and make sure that they get they're own supply of fresh, live food.

I'm reminded of your comment about the cross breeding of tefe with other aggies... That the female will breed with the only male fish available. I will post pics and more as these guys grow up. It would be interesting to see if sterility is an issue.

I'm really curious to see what the finnage is like. 2 fry from the first spawn are now at about 3/4" and the male already has very extended dorsal rays and quite a bit of red along his dorsal fin. That and it looks like maroon along his pelvic and anal fins... I hope some of those traits will still be even slightly present.

Thanks Mike!

bigbird

5 Year Member
Congratulations.
It would be nice if you could monitor the progress of your Albino fry and do see how they do their mating courtship and colouring in future and if indeed they might be sterile.
The reason why the mother shoos the fry away, is that in the wild, these white fish attract predaters and she shoos them away in order for the rest of the fry not to be in danger . Just natures instinct.
again well done and post some pics if you can. Cheers :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….