• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggressive or protective mother?

Strong Style

Hi everyone, hope everyone had a very happy New Year!

I am seeking advice regarding my A. macmasteri mother and fry. I have noticed my A. macmasteri female seems to be chasing fry sometimes. She seems to do this when I am close to the tank. Some fry are too big or too fast for her to grab in her mouth. Often she will rapidly approach the fry but stop once it is close. However, I have noticed at least a couple times she has a grabbed fry. At least two of these times I clearly saw her let the fry go after she moves slightly. So it seems she probably doesn't eat them but I don't know what's happening when I'm not watching (closely) and can't say for sure. Tonight, she kept pecking at a fry that got close to the viewing side of the tank but could not grab it as it was too big. The fry are nearing a month old in about a week. The mother remains in her brooding colors. Is she a danger to the fry or is she grabbing them to pull them away from danger when she sees a person (or the male parent, who is now isolated from the family) get to close?

Last edited:

yukondog

5 Year Member
She's pretty much doing everything you see going on, the fry are starting to get older and starting to scatter from the nest, and your going to need a grow out tank soon, do you have another tank for them and what are you feeding them?

Strong Style

She's pretty much doing everything you see going on, the fry are starting to get older and starting to scatter from the nest, and your going to need a grow out tank soon, do you have another tank for them and what are you feeding them?
Thanks for the reply! Yesterday the fry were actively avoiding the female I moved her out and left them to grow out in this 20 long. The relationship seemed to have been at its end. I feed live BBS. Soon after the female was removed a lot of fry came out of hiding. Is a 20 long okay for grow at this age? I've more 10s and 20s ready to go as needed.

yukondog

5 Year Member
A 20 is fine for a grow out tank, do 2-3 water changes a week and they should do fine. I have a batch in a 10 gl. for now and a older group in a 29 tall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….