• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

agassizi id help

andris

anyone has good guess what agassizi type is that?

Attachments

• 222C193D-A071-4228-A066-C3DD503DB311.jpeg
    222C193D-A071-4228-A066-C3DD503DB311.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 270
  • 309999EF-6D3B-448D-8C57-B80ABA140075.jpeg
    309999EF-6D3B-448D-8C57-B80ABA140075.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 294

andris

thank you. Would you suggest a pair, or 1m+3f or 1m+4f for a breeding in ~4ft tank? Water conditions of Ph of 5.85, KH 0, GH 2, uS 95.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Numbers of fish actually depends on how your tank is decorated. What other fish do you plan to be in the tank with the apistos? I personally would keep only a trio, but could be possible to keep 4 fish if for breeding only.

andris

Tank has some plants, drifting wood roots. Intially i had rams but i moved them away. I keep nannostomus marginatus there and 4 baby angels. the purpose is viewing, if occasional successful breeding occurs, ill be happy though (we all like these tiny guys). Trio as of 1m +3f ? or you mean 1m+2f (the latter i had a bad experience)

Could be other bottom dwelling fish from the same habitat?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A trio is 3 fish. Will a trio succeed. I don't know because I don't know how you designed your tank to accommodate a territorial species like your apistos. Base on your 'bad experience with a typical trio, my guess is that you do not have enough visual territorial boundaries for more than a pair. Adding an extra female will only cause more problems. Next: "A community tank is not a breeding tank" (where have I heard this??). Personally, if I wanted apistos with angelfish and other bottom-dwelling fish, I'd only keep 2 male apistos of different species/shapes.

andris

thank you, this tank seems to have territories but it might be not enough. do you or anyone have any examples of tank with well designed visual boundaries? My agassizii travel through whole tank circumventing even bulky wood elements.

Yes i know this mantra that ‘a community tank is not a breeding tank’. It is not supposed to be a purposely breeding tank, however Angels are there only for some time until they grow a bit though.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A search of past posts show tanks that exhibit such boundaries. I don't know about others, but I can't see any reason why one would want to stress out a peaceful community tank by adding a breeding pair of cichlids.

andris

in your opinion this tank has enough boundaries?

Attachments

• 3CF84FE3-83C6-4408-B8A2-4030CE13CAB0.jpeg
    3CF84FE3-83C6-4408-B8A2-4030CE13CAB0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 215

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
in your opinion this tank has enough boundaries?
If you put a backing on the back and at least one of the ends of the tank it would help. I don't paint the back and sides I use dark coloured card and just tape it on.

After that <"just more structure">, wood, twigs, dead leaves, plants, it doesn't matter what you use.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….