• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice needed for "new" Tank...

Claude3rd

5 Year Member
So I have a 58 g oceanic sump that I will be turning into a regular tank because it wont fit in the stand for my 180g. I want to try some dwarf cichlids... I am open to suggestion on what to get and how much the tank can hold. I will be running 2 Emperor 400's for filtration. Thanks!!

hedylogus

5 Year Member
if you've never kept dwarf cichlids, start with the basics......try Pelvicachromis pulcher. they're nice looking, cheap, hardy, and easy to find (at least in the US--not sure where you're from).

Claude3rd

5 Year Member
In the LFS in my area the prevailing fish have been Apistogramma ramirezi... which is what I have been mainly looking at. I was thinking of a mix of blue and golds along with school of barbs and some type of bottom fish. I am just hazy on the amounts and what goes together. I guess I need to do some more research.

Matt1892

What are the dimensions of the tank I am unfamiliar with 58g oceanic sump sizes, when talking surface area. For bottom dwelling dwarf cichlids this is vital to know for stocking purposes.

Matt1892

Mikrogeophagus ramerezi or apistogramma ramirezi require a lot of sight breaking material (plants, driftwood, w/e), they can be kept with a large variety of fish as long as the fish are of equal or lesser temperament, gold and blue rams (common name) require warmer temperatures and soft water. 82 degrees. If you want them to breed less is more. I have 5 in a 4 foot by 18?inch tank. Each ram/ram pair should have about a square foot surface area to themselves. When breeding can be territorial and will attack and can injure Cory cats (injury is rare though but stress is not healthy) along with any other fish that come near their eggs/wigglers/fry.

Matt1892

36" x 18" x 21"
if you get them young you could get like 6-8 and once they start pairing keep four (my thought), you might be able to keep more id wait for more expertise but I had a 36 by 12 and 3 was alright, but u have a much larger surface area because of the extra six inch depth. Depends on how your tank is set up truly and the fact that it's a 58 gallon could help for some great stocking on top of that.

Matt1892

Oh and my three ended up being all males. Which is why I suggest buyin more initially at a young age. Seeing what u have more of and sending them back.

Claude3rd

5 Year Member
I know its been awhile since I started this post.... the 58g tank didnt work out but I just got my hands on a 75g tank. What should I fill it with?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Probably not, but it would help to know which species of Ram, decor, lay-out of decor, whether you want to breed or keep as part of a community, other fish, etc. etc. ...

Claude3rd

5 Year Member
I plan to do a SA biotope... plenty of plants and driftwood. As far as stock goes I want to try to get all my fisl locally (I live in CT). I have seen plenty of places carry Rams and I like their colors. I was thinking 4 to 6 rams... some angel fish, barbs and catfish.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….