• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice and Suggestions

spitfire

5 Year Member
Hello. This is my first post (scared)...
I am setting up a 55 gal planted aquarium. I have purchased tank, Emperor 400 PF, Eheim 2217 CF, ECO-COMP, Fluorite, etc. I need LIGHTING and fish.
This is what I WANT: several pair of apisto's and as many other fish as possible in a community setting. I am not concerned about breediing the apistos. I think they are the coolest fish around! However, I have a wife and two kids (8, 3). I want them to enjoy the aquarium too.

I know there are some members who can provide intelligent / detailed / experience / suggestions to me. I would like to do this instead of trial and error. The apistos that I think I wnat are:
1. agassizii
2. cacatuoides
3. macmasteri
4. ramirezi
Please list others that YOU feel are better suited for this tank or which of these will work.

1. What would be the max number of pairs of apistos that I could have?
2. Which apistos would get along in a community/planted setting.
3. Suggestions for other fish: pencilfish, tetras, roselines, rasboras, gourami, SAE, Otocinclus, angels, etc.
4. What fish should be introduced 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ... last? When to add the apistos?
5. What media to use for caves, hiding spots...(website or source).

Please let me know if what I want is too much and I will restructure to what is suggested. I want the most happy fish (apistos) that I can have in the 55 gal tank.

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to meeting all of you and discussing these great fish. Excellent site - lots of info.

drudnick

5 Year Member
I actually had more problems between my males for territories than my females. Females would chase each other, but the males were actually tryin to bite each others heads off...lol

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
drudnick said:
I actually had more problems between my males for territories than my females. Females would chase each other, but the males were actually tryin to bite each others heads off...lol

But without the presence of females the males will be less motivated to bite each others heads off

drudnick

5 Year Member
I guess...

I wasnt disputing his comment, just responding to it.

All males would make for a prettier display tank.

spitfire

5 Year Member
Males????

So...now you open a new question. If I decide to go with males only can I have 4? For example: cacatuoides, borelli, paduro, ramirezii - one male of each?

Can you comment on the other questions I have in my original post as well?
If I stay with a pair or trio of (cactuoides) - would I add them first or last to the community tank?

Greg PL

5 Year Member
I would go for one species, in bigger quantities - A. trifasciata, sp. Mamore, if you're looking for diversity choose M. ramirezi or A. borelli, which occure in different colour variants. all mentioned are relatively small and not so aggressive species, can be kept with 50:50 sex ratio or with more females than males.
adding small tetras (P. simulans, H. amandae) and Nannostomus species (marginatus, eques) may make the tank more attractive. having 4 dwarf males in such setup will never get you bored :)
you may add otocinclus (althouth they are not your cure for algae plagues) or small cories (C. pygmaeus, habrossus).

all fish should be quarantined, other than that I don't think the order of introduction matters much.

you did not mention your water conditions and possibilities to influence it.

ragmansrams

5 Year Member
i just recently had a ten

with a male and two females and the female beat the other female to death

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….