• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

acid water cycling

O

onlyme

Hello all !!!
I am new to Apistos but I have kept rift lakers for some time now. I have a 12 gal tank, heater, and 2 air driven box filters with 10 sub adult apistos. Temp 26 deg, Gen hardness 2~3 G degs, Kh. unmeasnureable. I am using rainwater Ph 6.9, and Seachem PH down and Seachem Equilibrium to give the water some free ions in solution. I am trying to hold the tank at Ph 6~6.2 My question is this, the tank wont cycle biologically like a rift lake tank does and I am still getting 4~5 ppm ammonium readings. The tank has some annubias and plenty of Java moss in it. Any ideas ??

THanks,

Craig.

O

onlyme

4 or 5 weeks. I should have added I used Cycle and another brand of biological helper. I have been doing a 30% water change twice a week as well. Does Kh need to be above 3Gd to allow the nitrofying bacteria to work?

Craig.

Randall

5 Year Member
Cycling Acidic Water

Dear Craig,

The level of calcium cabonate in water should not effect nitrifying bacteria. All my tanks contain soft, acidic water and routinely cycle within four weeks. Perhaps your situation has more to do with bioload? Ten sub adult dwarf cichlids in a new 12-gallon setup sounds like overstocking to me. The good news is ammonia is not absorbed by fish in acidic water nearly as much as it is in alkaline water. Perhaps you just need to wait it out.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….