• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Accepted color varients?

Eddiekay1010

Hi, my Cichlid club is trying to find a list of generally accepted color variants/tank strains of Apistos in the hobby in order for us to know what we can allow into our BAP program. Is there a organization that would have that on a site somewhere. I'm not a huge fan of tank strains, I personally find wild color forms to be much more interesting, but to each, their own.

Thanks

Apistoguy52

Our club draws the line at species, cacatuoides “triple red”, and cacatuoides “orange flash” would only confer one BAP point if they were both submitted, as they are the same species.

Addition…. Our club does allow undescribed species (sp), so I’ve been able to BAP agassizii “tefe”, sp tefe, sp bbcs ect

Last edited:

MacZ

As there are barely any rules on how to call certain strains, I'd also recommend only distinguishing between species (also including undescribed species) and to ignore domestic strains.

Due to lack of expertise you can find certain strains under up to 8 different names in the trade, often completely wrong or a fantasy name that simply sounds good, in order to sell them better. There are no fixed rules to my knowledge, but I'm also not really interested in the domestic fish. I just notice what is happening in the trade, shake my head and carry on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….