• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ACA Convention in Atlanta

Neil

Scooter,
Up until a few weeks ago, I was planning on going, but some things came up that will be preventing me. It's a shame too, because it is really going to be a good one. Mike Wise is talking and there will be a lot of guys who will probably be bring fish. When I have gone in the past, I came home with some interesting things. It is usually a lot of fun.

Scooter

5 Year Member
Neil, sorry to hear that. Maybe next year in Cincinnati (I believe that's where it's going to be). As of right now, I plan to go to Atlanta. It should be fun.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Living in Central Ohio the last few years has been great for hitting the ACA conventions...Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland. Made the drive to New Jersey last year. Passing on Atlanta this year to gear up for Cicny next year!! Will only be an hour and a half drive and I can get fish home in a hurry if I have to. I spend way too much money and come home with way too many fish. Need to go with a specific "Wish List" and stick to it but it is so hard to do with all the cool stuff floating around.

Scooter

5 Year Member
I hear you cichlids1. I'm a little leery about going because I know I'll want a thousand things I can't have. I guess it's fortunate I'm about 3.5 hours away. If I were close, I'd be too tempted to buy fish and bring them home. I am looking forward to hearing Rusty and Mike speak, though.

Z Man

5 Year Member
I'm just sitting back and listening (reading) to you guys. Don't ever worry about having fish from a convention in their bags for anytime under 2 days. I go to the OCA in November every year and most times I buy fish on Friday night and leave them in the bag until I get home late Sunday. So there is no excuse for you guys not buying a few styro's of fish. I usually take 4 styro's of fish to sell and then just fill them up again with new fish. I dunno but I think ACA even takes credit cards! I will be skipping this year in Atlanta (15hr drive) but Cincy (8hr) looks inviting. Will be at the OCA again this year.

Scooter

5 Year Member
:lol: Z man, I still get nervous bringing fish back from my lfs and it's only 15-20 minutes away. I would be a basket case making the drive from Atlanta with fish even though I know those fish are fine in the bag. Just my nature I guess. Who knows, though. I may get so enamored with something down there and have to have it. I guess I'll be taking the cooler after all.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Some of us addicts have even been know to drag along a couple tanks and sponge filters just to hold our purchases. Not to mention if you have fish to sell. I've seen a couple rooms over the last few years that looks like the guys have loaded the fishroom, racks and all, into the U-Haul and then set it back up in their hotel room. Gives you a spooky glimps into the souls of the true fish nut. :lol:

No, I'm not bringing the whole fishroom to Cincy...just half of it, need to leave some behind to hold the new fish that will be coming home while I set the other half back up :)

If you've never been to one, it is an experience. If your a compulsive fish buyer, like myself, leave some money at home because you'll spend it all. I spent 4 hours at the last day of the OCA extravaganza and managed to somehow leave with a styro full and a few fish bags shoved in my coat pocket 8)

Z Man

5 Year Member
Scooter,
How long do you think they are in a bag between the shipper in Florida until they reach a wholesaler, then unbagged and rebagged again and sent to that store you shop at? I have friends at a local retail/wholesale place who tell me they sometimes have to drive from Buffalo to Cleveland and back again because the fish were stuck there for two days because the Buffalo airport was closed due to snow. These delicate guys are not as delicate as you might think. I drove with fish for 2 days from Buffalo to Florida for an ACC a few years back. Buy all you can afford; they will be fine!

Scooter

5 Year Member
Z man. I know, I know. I guess a better way to look at it is that the fish that don't go home with me, go home with someone else or the person that brought them. So, either way, they're still going somewhere in a bag. Why not in a bag, in a cooler, in MY car? I just know that anything I get from my lfs has a warranty. I can't control everything, but it's a little reassuring to know that whatver dies of shock during transit and/or transfer to my tank is refundable. I'm not made of money, and dwarfs by and large aren't real cheap.

Don't worry though. When I come back broke, with a few bags of fish, and my wife can't eat for the next week, I'll blame you :lol: :D :lol:

Eva32181

5 Year Member
And my friends think I'm crazy about fish. They should see you guys. Sheesh.

That said, I might just make the drive up to Atlanta next month. You know, just to look. Not to go crazy or anything. Well, maybe just a little.[/b]

Z Man

5 Year Member
Neil, Third try! Having trouble loging in today! http://www.ohiocichlid.com
It's a little early to bring up the OCA Extravaganza as it will be held Nov. 22 - 24. It's always the weekend before Thanksgiving. But here's a short version: Rooms $64 for up to 4 persons; A whopping $10 registration fee that includes coffee & donuts Sat & Sun am, hospitality room w/soda, beer & snacks Fri & Sat eve, Pizza party w/soda Sat @ 5pm. Five speakers, mfgs. auction Sat eve & cichlid & scavanger auction at 11am Sun. Now beat those prices! Nothing against the ACA but it's too far for me to drive (900 mi) as I told Julio today. But he will be there. As for dwarfs you will find them in the many rooms. AllOddballAquatics, 3 Guy Aquatics, Rare Cichlids (Dov Goldstein) and a few more usually show up with room displays. Big John, Jerry B?, are a few possibilities.

Neil

Thanks Zman. Sounds good. I would love to make it. Maybe be that time, things will have settled down a little for me and I can attend. Are there a bunch of fishrooms to see in the area? How about LFS's?
Neil

M

Mike Chappell

ACA Convention

Hey guys...

Just happened to be crusing around and reading some boards. I'd for sure recommend the OCA extravaganza to you neil. It's a great function, that is a super bang for the buck as Z-man was discussing. I'll be thier for sure again this year..Setting up a room display is always in questions until closer to the date. I'll be passing on the ACA show this year, as I've setup and been present at the last few being from the Pittsburgh area has permitted me hittin the conventioned withing 6-7hours. This years atlanta will be too far off and I actually couldn't have made it if I wanted to. But the OCA is a nice weekend to have and we have a good time! Just wanted to say that I just got done hosting my first show/auction for GPASI ( greater pittsbirgh aquarium soceity inc.) and it was a huge success...looking forward to doing it again next year..Z-man you'll have to make the trip..it was a good time!

I'll try to keep an eye closer to this board..seems like a good crowd:)

Mike Chappell (Three Guys Aquatics)

Z Man

5 Year Member
Hi Mike, Couldn't make the Pittsburgh weekend because I took my wife and daughter to Toronto to catch a plane that Saturday and then Sunday was Mother's Day so I didn't just come down for the auction. I was there a few years back and had a good time. As you know, I know a lot of those guys by you. I know you'll be in Cleveland, now if we could just get a few more interested, we would really have something special.

M

Mike Chappell

ACA Convention

Z...

I just don't think people relize what a show that the OCA is capable of putting on, and what a show the OCA Extravaganza is..I had a good time as always..and look to attempt to make it an entire weekend this year for a change..if the schedule permits. When it gets to late summer/fall we'll have to start throwing hints out and try to get some more guys to make the trip and see what it's all about...You going to any shows anytime soon? I am planning on making the June 30th auction at Medina county OH...any chance for you to be going???

Mike Chappell

Neil

mordor,
I think that you will be suprised about how many are going to the ACA convention. Kevin is going and I bet bet several others from the PCCA. Chuch Rambo, Pam Chin, and a few others always go. Even if they didn't, you will meet a bunch of people and get a ton of info (and probably fish). I bet you have alot of fun. I wish I were going.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….