• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A visit to Mark 'Microman' Breeze

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
As followers of the forum will be awareTom C and Mark visited Peru last month and Mark was very fortunate to bring some Apisto's back with him (and of course Tom took some home to Norway as well!).

I popped over through the week to get some photographs as there a couple of species Mark has brought back that I would consider new to the UK hobby along with some other very attractive Apisto's that we do see every know and again. I'll need to go back to photograph some more of the species as not all of the were playing 'ball' for the camera!!

First up, Apistogramma cf. luelingi from Puerto Maldonado. I think this falls into the bracket of a 'first time in the UK'.

For those of you with the Datz Sonderhoft Apistogramma book, it's under A196. A very attractive fish (part of the Apistogramma cacatuoides group) with the male showing lots of yellow over the head area. Interesting to note the female has almost 2 lateral spots on one side and what has to be one of the smallest lateral spots I have seen an Apisto on the other side. Enjoy...

The pair:
ap_cf_luelingi_pair_001.jpg

The male:
ap_cf_luelingi_male_001.jpg

ap_cf_luelingi_male_002.jpg

The female:
ap_cf_luelingi_female_001.jpg

ap_cf_luelingi_female_002.jpg

I've photographs from another couple of species that I neeed to process then you will find them posted here.

Andrew

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
The next installment, this time a species rarely seen in the UK, Apistogramma huascar from Galvez.

The keen eyed will note that this fish looks similar to Apistogramma atahualpa, well it is but with A. huascar males have a lyrate caudal fin. Again for those with Datz look up A177, Apistogramma sp. Sunpin/Sunrise was named A. huascar by Uwe Römer in 2006. To continue the theme, Huascar was the brother of Atahualpa, the last Inca ruler.

ap_huascar_male_001.jpg

ap_huascar_male_002.jpg

ap_huascar_female_001.jpg

ap_huascar_female_002.jpg

The problem of using a mirror in the tank to get the fish displaying is evidenced here, some fish get that excited that any debris in the tank gets whipped up into the water column. Can't win sometimes!!

Andrew

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Now for a species that is more common in the UK, maybe not this variant though!!

Apistogramma barlowi 'Rojo / Yahuasyacu' (A174 in Datz).

One of the things that stands out with this variant is the colour of the males face when he is displaying, lips and throat area become very dark. Just look for yourself:
ap_barlowi_roja_male_001.jpg

ap_barlowi_roja_male_002.jpg

Prior to being scientifically described one of the names given to this species was Apistogramma sp. Brustband/Breastband, thew following images of the female clearly demonstrate the trait that gave rise to the name. Also notice the difference in the facial expression when the female gives her gular flare, I'll need to try and get a head on photo of this one of these days to show just how effective this threat display is;
ap_barlowi_roja_female_001.jpg

ap_barlowi_roja_female_002.jpg

Andrew

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Continuing with fish brought back from Peru by Mark (change of fish house for the next couple of species though) we move to the Apistogramma nijsseni group with Apistogramma sp. Oregon (A 182 in Datz).

I like this group of fish a lot with the males displaying a lot of blue through the body and the females (when in breding condition) showing stunning yellow and black markings.

The male displaying to the mirror (they never learn!);
ap_sp_oregon_male_001.jpg

ap_sp_oregon_male_002.jpg

ap_sp_oregon_male_003.jpg

ap_sp_oregon_male_004.jpg

And his young lady, sadly not in breeding coloration yet;
ap_sp_oregon_female_001.jpg

ap_sp_oregon_female_002.jpg

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
And possibly the best till last!! (well at least until I get back over to Mark's to photograph some of the other fish he brought back).

Subject of a guessing game on the Amazon trip thread (in this forum) of Mark and Tom, the (very) colourful Apistogramma sp. Winkelfleck Dunkel (A45 in Datz).

The colours on the male are just stunning, enjoy for yourselves;
ap_sp_wink_dunk_male_001.jpg

ap_sp_wink_dunk_male_002.jpg

ap_sp_wink_dunk_male_003.jpg

And his female, like the Apistogramma sp. Oregon she has yet to colour up as well;
ap_sp_wink_dunk_female_001.jpg

Andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….