• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.Viejieta (?) ID question

Abeythefishman

I acquired these two fish and was told they are wild caught, male and female A.viejieta.
However they seem to be exactly the same sex to my untrained eye.
I assumed they were both females but one is about 5 cms and the other is about 4....which I thought was kind of large for females.
If anyone can help ID them and sort sex them, I'd be much appreciate

Many thanks

first three are the same fish (I believe).... second three the other although it's hard to tell them apart.....

Attachments

• IMG_5805 2.jpg
    IMG_5805 2.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5820.jpg
    IMG_5820.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5853.jpg
    IMG_5853.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    985.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3240.jpg
    IMG_3240.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 137

MacZ

On the last picture it really looks like that male is a true A. viejita. The other fish though... A. viejita, too, for sure. But I can't tell whether male of female.

Congrats, hard to get those. :)

Abeythefishman

On the last picture it really looks like that male is a true A. viejita. The other fish though... A. viejita, too, for sure. But I can't tell whether male of female.

Congrats, hard to get those. :)
Many thanks for this.
I can’t find any difference between the two fish do I’ll wait and see.
They are VERY shy, I guess wild caught fish aren’t used to humans staring at them There’s a store in Montreal that ONLY has wild caught fish. I’d post their name but. It sure if it’s appropriate on the forum.

MacZ

They are VERY shy, I guess wild caught fish aren’t used to humans staring at them
You can and should slowly habituate them to that.

There’s a store in Montreal that ONLY has wild caught fish. I’d post their name but. It sure if it’s appropriate on the forum.
I think it's ok. I mean... I live a continent over from you. Besides it being maybe interesting to see how stores over there operate I have no interest at all in a store that far away. ;)

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
To me your fish don't look like typical A. viejita, mostly because of the size and shape of the caudal spot. If one of them is a male, the typical red seam in the dorsal fin is also missing. My suggestion would be to let them settle in and then post more photos of them in different moods (in particular the abdominal markings in aggressive mood can be helpful).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….