• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Trifasciata vs guppy babies

Neptunus

Hello
I have a couple of guppies endler in my 240L tank with a couple of A. trifasciata among other fish.
I was hoping Apistos will hunt baby guppies and thus regulate their population, but they seem have NO interest to them .
Wondering if those are my Apisto who are peacefull or they are not hunting other fish alvins? Does any one have experience?

Bart Hazes

I fed some baby guppies at some point and found that my apistos tried to eat them but if they didn't get them right after I released the guppy fry then the guppy would swim to the surface between floating plants and there the apistos would not search for food. Once the guppies get a bit older I found they became too fast for my apistos. They do eat worms that are considerably bigger than guppy fry and I bet they would love to eat them but they just aren't good and fast hunters.

Neptunus

I saw my Apsito female ONCE trying to catch one of them , but you are right, they are too fast. She got more scared and "run" away in the opoosit direction.
You confirm my feeling: cant rely on guppy in feeding apistos, nor on apistos in controlling guppy pop. I had at least 14 when they were born and i still have 14 !

yukondog

5 Year Member
I tried the same thing with my Borellii's a couple of days ago, I put in about 5 guppy fry and they had no interest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….