1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. trifasciata, no location given. Rio Guaporé?

Discussion in 'South American Cichlid Identification' started by mrjbacon, Feb 23, 2019.

1. mrjbacon

mrjbacon Member

Just a question of whether these two WC tri's are from the Rio Guaporé or are the normal maciliensis type from the rest of the range. At least I think that's the distinction, maybe I'm wrong. There wasn't a location given in the LFS where I got them.

https://imgur.com/bNvy5am
    https://imgur.com/mmvBtna

Don't know why, but it won't let me embed the thumbnails
  2. mrjbacon

mrjbacon Member

Okay, I stopped in at the shop and asked the owner, and he said the only information he had about the location collected was that it was in Peru. Does that help with the identification?
  3. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

First, A. trifasciata only occurs in the Rio Paraguay and upper Rio Madeira systems of Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, and Argentina. Therefore the owner had/gave you wrong information. Based on the color of the male I would say that it is from the Paraguay system, not the Rio Guapore (part of the upper Madeira). And last, there is no A. maciliense - unless you are referring to Römer's mis-identification of A. sp. Mamore (now scientifically described as A. erythrura) in Cichlid Atlas 1. A. t. maciliense Hasemann, 1911 is a synonym for A. trifasciata from the Guapore system.
    ButtNekkid and dw1305 like this.
  4. mrjbacon

mrjbacon Member

Cool, thank you for clearing up my misidentification and confusion I had had before Mike.