• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Sp. vaupes and A. Sp. gillspot WC

Bramgroet

Hello

I live in the Netherlands and I saw some interesting Apistogramma. They are from Ruinemans a big wholesaler here.

They have Apistogramma sp. vaupes.
863701B1-2871-4681-A685-6CF4C13B4743.png

And Apistogramma sp. gillspot.
28AB60FD-0D6C-41CB-B845-9757A822C500.png
Now I was wondering if anyone knows if these are the species they are listed as and has anyone some info on them? These are the only pictures I have.

Thanks in advance

rasmusW

5 Year Member
I think the gillspot is mislabelled.
It went from gephyra to gillspot and back a few times.
Last time i checked it was gephyra aswell as the picture.

-r

Apistoguy52

I think the gillspot is mislabelled.
It went from gephyra to gillspot and back a few times.
Last time i checked it was gephyra aswell as the picture.

-r
If the fish in the second picture, is the actual fish they have for sale it’s sp keimenfleck. gephyra looks like agassizii, but with a fine lace type pattern in the caudal fin, correct?

rasmusW

5 Year Member
If the fish in the second picture, is the actual fish they have for sale it’s sp keimenfleck. gephyra looks like agassizii, but with a fine lace type pattern in the caudal fin, correct?
Ye! The pictures have shifted a couple of times. Note populare name and Scientific name does not match either.

Edit: maybe its only the english version…?

-r

rasmusW

5 Year Member
I am no expert on apisto names but i honestly think the “a. Vaupes”, looks more like “alto vaupes II/unibrow” than a. Vaupes d39. But it is kinda hard to tell from that one picture, plus i don’t know any of the two fish better than what i have read on Toms site.

Btw. You can find a bit of info on d39 in Tom (+others)’s article on d37/gillspot.

-r

Apistoguy52

Could be the Dutch version doesn’t switch.

Does anyone have some info on the A. Sp. D39 ?
It’s a nice fish, very cf personata like, but much more colorful. Similar to d6, d37, and d50 in terms of being collected in “blackwater”, but able to reproduce in water with values much higher than what we associate with “blackwater”

Tom C

5 Year Member
We discovered the A. sp. "D39" primo February 2017, here:

resizeimage.aspx

There is a small lake behind the trees. Not pure blackwater, but influenced by such.
Unfortunately, my measuring instrument (which measures pH, electrical conductivity and temperature) was non-functional at this time, so I do not have water parameters from this habitat.

First time in a bag:

resizeimage.aspx

and in my tank at home:

resizeimage.aspx

Bramgroet

That fish is a beautiful I might consider it. But I do need to buy another tank voor quarantine if I am buying them from wholesale. I never had any problems with my lfs but from wholesale I won’t risk it. Also my water values aren’t that low 6,5 ph, kh 3 and tds 150 ppm so pretty high. I don’t intend on breeding but I do want the fish to live healthy so will this be okay voor D39 or should I go with an other fish ?

Tom C

5 Year Member
I keep mine in peat-filtered water with a pH of around 5, and an electrical conductivity of about 30 MicroSiemens/cm ( = tds < 20), conditions in which they seem to thrive, spawn and live for quite a long time.
Never mind the pH, but I would definitely lower the tds a bit if you intend to keep this species.

The need for a quarantine tank only exists if you have other fish in the tank. This year's wild catches of A. sp. D39 seem to consist of quite small/young individuals, and this species isn't of the largest Apistogramma as fully grown either. They would therefore most likely come up short when in competition with larger and/or more aggressive species for territory and food. Which species do you intend to keep them with? From previous threads it may appear that you have A. cf. agassizii in a 55 gallon tank. Do you plan to put A. sp. D39 along with them?

anewbie

I keep mine in peat-filtered water with a pH of around 5, and an electrical conductivity of about 30 MicroSiemens/cm ( = tds < 20), conditions in which they seem to thrive, spawn and live for quite a long time.
Never mind the pH, but I would definitely lower the tds a bit if you intend to keep this species.

The need for a quarantine tank only exists if you have other fish in the tank. This year's wild catches of A. sp. D39 seem to consist of quite small/young individuals, and this species isn't of the largest Apistogramma as fully grown either. They would therefore most likely come up short when in competition with larger and/or more aggressive species for territory and food. Which species do you intend to keep them with? From previous threads it may appear that you have A. cf. agassizii in a 55 gallon tank. Do you plan to put A. sp. D39 along with them?
What temp do you keep them ?

Bramgroet

Do you plan to put A. sp. D39 along with them?
No I would never. The Agassizii male died I already got him when he was atleast over 1 year and the females were pretty aggressive. I have learned that my tank is too small for two females both breeding. I still have the two females. So I will be buying a quarantine which is big enough to grow them out to about 5 cm which will take some time and then I will see if the females are still alive and not I will figure something out it won’t be hard.

I don’t know if I will do it will cost some money and time. Also the sp. D39 is a species I should breed or is the species more common now?

Ik keep mine at 25 Celsius.

Thanks for the help all

anewbie

No I would never. The Agassizii male died I already got him when he was atleast over 1 year and the females were pretty aggressive. I have learned that my tank is too small for two females both breeding. I still have the two females. So I will be buying a quarantine which is big enough to grow them out to about 5 cm which will take some time and then I will see if the females are still alive and not I will figure something out it won’t be hard.

I don’t know if I will do it will cost some money and time. Also the sp. D39 is a species I should breed or is the species more common now?

Ik keep mine at 25 Celsius.

Thanks for the help all
I've seen several sellers recently in the states; I don't know if they are common maybe it was one large shipment sent to many sellers or maybe they are more common. All the ones i saw were wc.

anewbie

wetspot has them unsexed for $20 each; which is the lowest i've seen. While these are sold as young unsexed I'd still contact them to see if they are both sexes or more likely single sex. If you get someone knowledgeable they will check.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….