• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. sp. "Papagalo"

Olga

5 Year Member
My recent purchase - a pair of A. sp. "Papagalo". Is it the same as A. sp. "Papagei"? Do the fish in my photos match their name? Thank you for the answers

Male
Pgmale1.jpg

Pgmale2.jpg

Female
Pfemale1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, it probably is A. sp. Parrot/Papagei, but the dark markings are not visible enough to be absolutely certain. It might be A. sp. Pebas, but the yellow tail does not seem right. There are many different color popuations of Papagei & Pebas.

Olga

5 Year Member
Thank you!

Mike Wise said:
Yes, it probably is A. sp. Parrot/Papagei, but the dark markings are not visible enough to be absolutely certain.
What kind of black markings you talking about? Perhaps, I can look for them on the fish.
Mike Wise said:
It might be A. sp. Pebas, but the yellow tail does not seem right. There are many different color popuations of Papagei & Pebas.
In the last edition of Linke & Staeck book picture of A. sp. Pebas is much more similar to my fish than pictures of A. sp. Papagei. What are the main characters that make these two species different?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The feature that best separates A. sp. Pebas from A. sp. Parrot/Papagei is the shape of the caudal patch - the marking on the caudal peduncle that is formed from the caudal spot & part of Bar 7. On A. sp. Pebas this caudal patch forms a tear drop shape (with the tip of the drop pointing toward the head) that joins the lateral band. Some even have a patch that is separate from the lateral band. Females in brood dress have 4-5 lateral spots along the posterior half of the flanks formed from the lateral band. Abdominal stripes on males are usually invisible or very poorly marked.

A. sp. Papagei has a Bar 7 that is joined to the caudal spot by a narrow band. It forms an '∞' shape. Females in brood dress show only 2-3 lateral spots along the lateral band on the front half of the flanks (other than the caudal patch, of course). The abdominal stripes are usually more distinct and continuous.

The more I look at your photos, the more I believe that I was wrong with my original identification. Looking at your photos, I must say that your female looks like A. sp. Pebas, and Koslowski (2002) shows a male Pebas that looks much like your male except that his fish has an uncolored caudal fin and less distinct abdominal stripes (more broken stripes). The yellow colored tail is rare on Pebas, but common on Papagei. Color, however, is not a good diagnostic feature on most apistos. It can be quite variable. For now I woud guess that your fish is most likely a color population of A. sp. Pebas. I would need photos of the fish showing the lateral band & caudal patch (most commonly seen in fright pattern) to be absolutely certain. Adding to this is the possiblily that Pebas & Papagei might just be varieties of the same species. We don't have much scientific information on ranges of these 2 forms.

I will be speaking in Larvik, Norway in March. I know it is some distance from Umea, but if you have the opportunity to come, we could discuss this in more detail.

Olga

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
I would need photos of the fish showing the lateral band & caudal patch (most commonly seen in fright pattern) to be absolutely certain.
Mike, thanks a lot for those detailed descriptions. Hope, that this is a right picture for ID
Pgmale3.jpg

Mike Wise said:
I will be speaking in Larvik, Norway in March. I know it is some distance from Umea, but if you have the opportunity to come, we could discuss this in more detail.
Thank you for the invitation. I'm not sure if I could come, but it is really worth it to make all my best to come there.

mervin

5 Year Member
awesome fish !!!
what we get here locally are not as colour intensive and normally have "split" ventral fins - to much in breeding ???

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Olga,

I am much more certain now that your fish are a beautiful color variant of A. sp. Pebas. To be absolutely certain, please send me the fish (live!).:wink:

Mervin,

There are many different color variants of this species. I have seen dull forms and forms almost as colorful as A. sp. Parrot/Papagei. If you look through enough wild-caught Pebas, you will eventually find the super colorful form.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mike Wise I will be speaking in Larvik, Norway in March. I know it is some distance from Umea, but if you have the opportunity to come, we could discuss this in more detail.

Thank you for the invitation. I'm not sure if I could come, but it is really worth it to make all my best to come there.

Olga & others interested,

Check http://home.c2i.net/Cichlid-Power/ (Alf Stalsber's web site) for more information on my speaking schedule in Norway.

Olga

5 Year Member
Mike, thank you very much for your help in identifying this species. It is very interesting with all new forms appearing now.

I hope to breed my A. sp. "Pebas", they spawned 2 days ago. This is the female with her eggs.
Pbspawn.jpg

Olga

5 Year Member
2 Richgrenfell

That was made from simple clay, that you can find in handicraft stores. I made plenty of these caves and apistogrammas just love them.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Thanks Olga. I am an assistant special ed.teacher, and when my students are in pottery, I sometimes make caves out of terra cotta clay as well. I've used them for all kinds of fish. Apistos, and ancistrus especially!

Rich

depthc

5 Year Member
Thats neat rich. I've done clay ceramics in school a long time ago but I've never thought of making a cave. Of course that was a while back when caves werent anything of importance in the fish hobby for me. But thats a great idea. Do you think you can show us some pics of them. I just think thats sweet.

Andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….