• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A sp Maulbruter

Oupsy

5 Year Member
I got them from Peter Lowett in UK.
Wanted to give him news, but i thought more people could be interested as well.

So here is a few pics of Maulbruter breeding.

The male (still young and smaller than female):
apisto09714ck.jpg

Female with fry in mouth:

apisto10919sc.jpg

apisto1249qj.jpg

Oupsy

5 Year Member
Female with free swimming fry:

<<Deleted images, didn't follow forum rules - Please read the announcement - Admin>>

I've been counting around 10 little ones so far.

Also got Panduros from Peter, having eggs for the 3rd time at the moment, didn t work the first times

KenL

5 Year Member
Excellent, please give us your tips on the maulbruter as my friend has a pair he got from Peter. His male is very hard on the female at the moment.

I also have a great pair of panduro from Peter, no action as yet though.

Oupsy

5 Year Member
Hello KenL,

I dont realy have any tip for breeding them. It was really a big surprise for me for many reasons.
First Peter told me he didn t have much success in breeding them, even though he has been breeding lots of apistos, and he had several males and females. Considering i just had a pair, i wasn t very optimistic.

After that, the male is smaller than the female and life ain t really easy for it. Lucky the tank is heavily planted with enough hiding places, because the female chases it as soon as sees him. So i thought they weren't getting along.

On top of that, they share a 120L tank separated in 2 60L, and agassiziis bred when i was in UK, so i didn t make lots of water changes.

Then last week, the male was swimming around the female, and they bred in the night. Now the male is hidden again, the female is even harder with him.

All i can say is the water temp is 26°C, pH is around 6 and hardness is 0-1.
I'm using 95% RO water.

I think the key in my case, is the male being dominated by the female. That way, she can decide whenever she wants to spawn and let the male near her.
For your friend, maybe the female has too much hard time with the male, and never gets ready to spawn. I don t have enough experience with them to be sure, but it could be a reason. Peter gave me a smaller male on purpose because he knew males are tough with females, and i thank him for that choice.
Maybe your friend could to try to isolate the male, to let the female get ready to spawn. It's just a guess.

Panduros spawned 2 days after arriving, then every 15 days. pH 6.5/7 no hardness temp 26°C.

KenL

5 Year Member
Just noticed you said there were only ~10 fry. Do maulbruter only produce small fry numbers as their brood care is better developed than other Apistos? Most cichlids produce many (hundreds even) but the mouthbrooding African cichlids produce much smaller numbers than average.

For how long will she take them into her mouth?

Oupsy

5 Year Member
Do maulbruter only produce small fry numbers as their brood care is better developed than other Apistos?
We had the same thought with Candidi (another member of the forum).
I'll need more spawns to find out.

For how long will she take them into her mouth?
It's been 5 days between eggs hatched and free swimming.
At first she carried the fry all the time. But after that, the fry was left in a hole she dug most of the time.
Unfortunatly, i have no other fish in the tank, i can't say what would happen then ( i have pencilfish i most of my apisto breeding tanks but not in that one :mad: ).

One thing is sure, every evening she carried the fry before the light turns off.

Today, second day of free swimming, i didn t see her mouthbreeding.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
My Maulbruters also produced smaller batches of fry, but they spawned more frequently and matured earlier than other apistos I've kept.

The brooding females are extremely aggressive towards the male. Usually (but not always), I had to remove the male once they fry became free swimming or he would get beat up. I had 3 females, each in their own 10 gallon tank and I moved the male from tank to tank when needed.

Michael

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Hi Oupsy,

Sorry for the late reply. I dont know how i missed this post.

All I can say is well done. I have one male and 3 females in a 5' tank at the moment with no signs of them spawning so you must be doing somthing right.

I still have some pair availbible if any one would like some.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….