• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. sp. D50 - another larvophilous mouthbrooder from Colombia

anewbie

Did you find these to be pair forming or harem breeders. I realize from your page they are classified as trifasciata-sublineage which suggest territorial and harem breeders but so far my male seems fairly passive relative to how i have seen trifasciata described. Right now i have my pair in a community 40 but plan on moving them to their own tank in a couple of months when i move. From discussion with others on this site and band they seem to require harder water to breed (will harder than blackwater); but your site also list extremely soft acidic water. I guess i'm noting the contradictions to ask for confirmation on your experience.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I only kept them in pairs but I'm not aware of any reports about them being polygamous either. They don't require harder water at all, but they seem to tolerate it (at least for a while), e.g. Uwe Römer bred them in pH 6.5 and EC 400uS/cm. However, if possible I would always keep fish in conditions similar to their natural habitat! I kept and bred them in pH 5.5 and EC 100uS/cm. Btw. the site you are referring to is not mine but rather @Tom C's ;)

anewbie

I only kept them in pairs but I'm not aware of any reports about them being polygamous either. They don't require harder water at all, but they seem to tolerate it (at least for a while), e.g. Uwe Römer bred them in pH 6.5 and EC 400uS/cm. However, if possible I would always keep fish in conditions similar to their natural habitat! I kept and bred them in pH 5.5 and EC 100uS/cm. Btw. the site you are referring to is not mine but rather @Tom C's ;)
I apologize to Tom on the site thingy; that was rather rude.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….