• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. sp. Blue head?

Joost S

5 Year Member
My apisto's settled in their new tank. The female (photo three in thread: LINK ) got the yellow colour and the dark black lining.

fem02.jpg

As I mentioned before I purchased three of them. The other two are males, but don't really look alike. One is similar to the female with the grey markings. The other one is more plain in a light gray/blue color. Both of them try to win the female for them, with all the likely consequences....

Male 1

maleb01.jpg

maleb02.jpg

Male 2 (is the same one as in the other thread)

male01.jpg

Anyone an idea which one 'belongs to' the female. And whether they are the same species?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I cannot say for sure, based on the available photos. If they are Blue-heads, you would expect that some fish would look more like one species while others would look more like the other species.

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
They appear to be Apistogramma eunotus to me. I would try feeding them them some live foods to see if they are the algodon variety, be cause my male Apistogramma eunotus 'Algodon' displays the same vertical bars along the flank that yours do no matter what mood he is in. If it is the algodon variety the tail will develop a nice orange coloration to it when fed live foods. I would also recommend moving the less dominant male from the tank as the dominant male will beat the snot out him time and time again. My male eunotus almost killed my male triple red cac when they were in the same tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Vertical bars along the flanks are characteristic of all apistos. They are more prominent on some than on others. Neither male shows a split vertical bar in Bar 5, 6, or 7, nor an orange patch at the base of the pectoral fins, which are diagnostic of eunotus-complex species. They all show abdominal streaks, characteristic of other regani-group complexes, like the resticulosa-, caetei-, & urteagai-complexes. I still am not sure what species your fish actually is. They are not as deep-bodied (high-backed) as most Blue-heads. The more I look at them the more I think that they may be A. sp. Wangenflecken/Cheek-spots.

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
Now that you mention it Mike, the males in the pictures do not have as high a back as my euntos. Other then that they look almost identical. I guess I will have to psot a photo to get your opinion on whether they are real eunotus 'algodon'.

Joost S

5 Year Member
@ Apisto Mike; I would love to see a pic of your fish!

I will try to get some new photo's this weekend. And see what they look than. They indeed don't have the orange/red spot just behind the pectoral fins. They do have a redish spot at the site of the 7th band.
The caudal (?) fins of the male have a light blue first ray which ends orange. In contrast to the female which is clearly just black.

What I can also do is make a drawing of the fish. I used to study biology almost 20 years ago, so maybe I have something left of al these hours of drawing beetles, cow eyes and fish? Can that help you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….