• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.Rotpunkt

mematrix

5 Year Member
A.Rotpunkt(Update}

:biggrin: Hi I have a question. i have not beeen able to find a whole lot of in fo on A.rotpunkt Is the female of this spieces very agressive. My female has the male staying up around the heater and chasing all other fish in tank I have checked every place she might possibly have laid eggs but none any where are they easy to breed ? any help will be apprecieated .
Sincerely Curtis

fishboy20

5 Year Member
They are quite easy to breed and I had them breed at 1" in size for the male and slightly smaller for the female. You are certainly seeing some post spawn behavior from your female. They tend to get aggressive like any Apisto female can that has eggs or fry. I had great success with keeping this species in a harem. The male always had a female to court and the brooding female always had multiple targets in the tank. Good luck, they are very pretty once you get them situated.

BillyBlanks

5 Year Member
I have a pair in a 2ft tank with 2 week old fry. At first the female kept the male away from the breeding cave and he chased the neons and fish in tanks next door. But now she lets him swim amongst the fry and I noticed his ventrals have gone a yellow/black tone like hers which is quite interesting. The female is very aggressive towards the neons though, attacking them if they come within 3 inches of her brood.

mematrix

5 Year Member
re to replys

:biggrin: Thanks guys for the replys. I hope they spawn my female is a terror my male is 3 times her size LOL hope she gets over her agressiveness twords him she is pretty mean.

Curtis

mematrix

5 Year Member
A. Rotpunkt Update

:confused: Hi All. Well you guys were right they were in pre spawn behavior. They spawned sometime today got a pot full of eggs :) . What has got me baffeled is the male seems to be guarding the eggs and the female is patrolling. My male or I think he is my male. He is about 3 times as large as the female is in the pot guarding the eggs exhibiting female behavior female coloring everything down to the keeping the liteler one my female(?) at safe distance and she is patroling. Is this normal or heard of behavior both have the rotpunk female coloration. I don't even know if the spawn is viable but there are eggs in the pot. I am contemplating pulling the eggs since they are in a 20gal with UGF and course gravel or should I take the airation lines out of the uplift tubes to cancel the suction through the gravel till they are freeswimming if the make it that far I have poor luck with fry getting to that stage unless I artifically hatch the eggs. Any info will help and be much appreciated.

Sincerely Curtis

PS: I just ordered the Mergus Cichlid atlas vol 1 today from drs Foster and Smith web site $44.00 and change Can't wait any other must have books you all would recomend?

Thanks Curtis

blueblue

5 Year Member
Curtis, good to learn that your fish have spawned.
Your experience with the male fish guarding eggs reminded me
an old story of my aggie and 2-lines (dip.)., also with the male
guarding eggs... For my cases, i just let the fish go and they did
come up with the free-swimming fries and everything else was normal!
So, i guess you may just let your fish free and observe their behaviour.
If you really very much care for the survival of the fries, you may take
the eggs out for artificial hatching... ^_^

mematrix said:
:confused: Hi All. Well you guys were right they were in pre spawn behavior. They spawned sometime today got a pot full of eggs :) . What has got me baffeled is the male seems to be guarding the eggs and the female is patrolling. My male or I think he is my male. He is about 3 times as large as the female is in the pot guarding the eggs exhibiting female behavior female coloring everything down to the keeping the liteler one my female(?) at safe distance and she is patroling. Is this normal or heard of behavior both have the rotpunk female coloration. I don't even know if the spawn is viable but there are eggs in the pot. I am contemplating pulling the eggs since they are in a 20gal with UGF and course gravel or should I take the airation lines out of the uplift tubes to cancel the suction through the gravel till they are freeswimming if the make it that far I have poor luck with fry getting to that stage unless I artifically hatch the eggs. Any info will help and be much appreciated.

Sincerely Curtis

PS: I just ordered the Mergus Cichlid atlas vol 1 today from drs Foster and Smith web site $44.00 and change Can't wait any other must have books you all would recomend?

Thanks Curtis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….