• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. playayacu

Ekona

5 Year Member
Scrolling down even further on the Acuario La Tahuampa website, same page, there is listed
Code : A147
Common Name : APIST BLUE FACE NAPO
Scientific Name : Apistogramma sp.
Size : 6 CM
Fishing Area : Upper Napo river

It looks a lot like Johannes and Tom's fish?

Ekona

5 Year Member
Excellent! And if you get to the point where you have more of them than you want to keep and need to pass some along, I know of at least one person who would gladly help out with that :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll be gearing up my breeding in hopes of having something for the ACA convention (if I can find the time between all of the talks I've got scheduled).

Ekona

5 Year Member
Good to hear!

As you discovered these fishes on your collecting trip last Fall, did you also pick the names for the two forms? If so, would you mind sharing how the two names were chosen, esp. "Shaly"?

Also, is anyone working on a formal description of these two forms? At some point there really needs to be an Apistogramma wiseii, if that would be the correct nomenclature. I think this would be a good candidate .

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Good to hear!

As you discovered these fishes on your collecting trip last Fall, did you also pick the names for the two forms? If so, would you mind sharing how the two names were chosen, esp. "Shaly"?

No, I didn't give them these names - and I wasn't the first to find A. sp. Rocafuerte/Shally. Native collectors first found this species in the Spring of 2012 while looking for A. payaminonis. The Rocafuerte color morph was named for the town of Nuevo Rocafuerte Ecuador, near the Peru border. The Shally color morph, I believe, was named for one of the collector's children. The only new species Tom, Julio & I found was a nijsseni-group species intermediate between A. martini/pantalone and A. payaminonis. We haven't really given it a name. When/if Tom adds it to his web site, he can give it a common name. There were several populations of 1 or more cruzi-like species, but I'm still not certain if they are new or not.

Also, is anyone working on a formal description of these two forms?

No, no one is working on a formal description that I know about. About the only ichthyologist working on apisto taxonomy is Dr. Römer and he has several other species right now that he's working on.

At some point there really needs to be an Apistogramma wiseii, if that would be the correct nomenclature. I think this would be a good candidate .

It would more properly be spelled 'wisei' - and no thanks, not interested. Besides, it would be totally confusing. There already is A. weisei - a junior synonym for Taeniacara candidi and erroneously used for A. cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt).

Ekona

5 Year Member
Great, thanks for the info on the naming.
Uh, only one ichthyologist working on apistos, that's interesting. With so many new species forms being found, I guess he will have plenty of work to do :)
Yes, I stumbled upon a thread in the old apisto/dwarf cichlid forum today where someone else was suggesting an apisto be named after you, and you declined the idea back then, some 20 years ago I think it was - so, touchette.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….