• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. paucisquamis female?

blueblue

5 Year Member
I always find that A. paucisquamis is a species that
there are many "hidden male fish" which behave like female
fish in a batch of fish.

For the following A. paucisquamis, how likely could it be a female?
It is already 3cm long, and there are prominent yellow markings
on the upper and lower parts of the caudal fin. Its caudal fin is round.
Thanks.

p_femaleQ.jpg

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Hi blueblue

I believe I recieved a similar shipment to the fish that you have and if they are the fish in your picture is a A. Pulchra and not a A. paucisquamis.

I would however like to know how to tell a female A. paucisquamis from a male.

Regards,

Peter

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Peter, thanks for your comments; for this fish, the picture is not well-taken while i am very sure that the fish is an A. paucisquamis (it has two horizontal bands across the body most of the time)...

For A. paucisquamis, female A. paucisquamis has shorter and darker ventral fins than male; female A. paucisquamis has a round (to slightly truncate) caudal fin. The body shape of female A. paucisquamis is usually "less slim" compared to the male A. paucisquamis... Male A. paucisquamis has a lyrate caudal fin.

Peter Lovett1 said:
Hi blueblue

I believe I recieved a similar shipment to the fish that you have and if they are the fish in your picture is a A. Pulchra and not a A. paucisquamis.

I would however like to know how to tell a female A. paucisquamis from a male.

Regards,

Peter

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Peter :)

Here is the old post of one of my paucisquamis,
http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=3664
comparing to yours, it looks different in colour; in fact,
there are really many different forms of paucisquamis, even in the same locality, we can find many different color forms of it.

Back to my question, please find some clearer photos of the
fish in my first post above :) again, it is definitely a paucisquamis;
do you think it is a female or a male?

db00a.JPG

db01a.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hard to say. How large/old is this fish? Based on the lack of a large amount of black on the ventral fins, I would say it is a male. Paucisquamis-complex females typically have mostly black ventral fins.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Hard to say. How large/old is this fish? Based on the lack of a large amount of black on the ventral fins, I would say it is a male. Paucisquamis-complex females typically have mostly black ventral fins.

Thanks Mike. It is 3cm long. Well, on one hand, its ventral fins are NOT that black; but on the other hand, it is short and is also a little bit black occasionally... its caudal fin is round. I myself also think that it is hard to say and hence i'd like to seek more opinions here :)

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
At 3 cm, it is only half grown. I am willing to bet that it will develop long ventrals & a double-tipped lyretail in about 2 month.

Thanks much Mike, and i will keep a close eye on it :)

By the way, have you ever seen a female A. paucisquamis with red/orange markings on the top and bottom parts of the caudal fin? I ask this question because, despite the popularity of this fish in Hong Kong, most hobbyists i know have never seen a female A. paucisquamis with this kind of markings (as the one in the photos)... it is interesting as it could be a way to distinguish male and female paucisquamis if this marking tends to appear only in male fish!! :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I cannot remember seeing photos of females with color in their fins. In all honesty, I have never seen a live A. paucisquamis. This fish almost never comes into the USA - particularly Denver.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
I cannot remember seeing photos of females with color in their fins. In all honesty, I have never seen a live A. paucisquamis. This fish almost never comes into the USA - particularly Denver.

i see. Thanks Mike. :)

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Mike, when i observed the fish this morning, i found that you're right!!
This paucisquamis is a male fish!! Will update you with the photo later.
Cheers :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….