• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Panduro sex identification

pjg250

I picked up two Panduro from my LFS today. I specifically asked for one male and one female, and was assured that this was a pair.

Can anyone confirm that I got one of each? I’m woefully bad with sizes, but I don’t think they’re fully grown yet.

7BD9AD9B-93FF-4A97-A5E1-79FF9FE58851.jpeg
5F7C1C4B-598E-4833-9160-C91725975B86.jpeg
F9633F0E-9067-451A-B7F1-095D87C9B821.jpeg

pjg250

I’m asking because I’m pretty sure that I got sold two females… Either that or one VERY young male.

pjg250

Based on size and shapes of flank spots and cheeks stripes (and less so the body colors) I would say you have one of each sex. Whether or not they will by compatible is a totally other question.
Thanks so much for the input! The one on the left looks clearly female to me, and the right is maybe a little more questionable. The flank spot and coloration of the potential male kind of threw me, which is why I was asking. The right fish only has a spot on one side.

I've read other posts that you've written that suggest Panduro are decidedly picky when choosing a mate. I have the space to add another panduro to this tank (40 gallon breeder planted with at least 3 caves and line of sight blocks, only 6 black neon tetras). I have no plans to add more fish except for some otos for algae cleaning.

Would you suggest adding another female for now to give options? Another male? I have some space to remove one fish to a safer space if a bonding doesn't work out.

These two have only been in the tank for about a day now, so I don't think there would be territorial aggression issues, but you'd know better than I. Should I just give these two some time?

pjg250

If you want fry, get rid of the blk. neon's. I use them in my 40gal. and 50gal. just for fry control and they are very good at it.
Interesting! I did a lot of research here and know that nannostomus are the best options, but I couldn’t find any online or within 40 miles of me.

A << few >> << threads >> << suggested >>black neon tetras were also acceptable.

MacZ

A << few >> << threads >> << suggested >>black neon tetras were also acceptable.
Of which the first thread doesn't even ask the question for fry predation, the second mentions that tetras are generally fry hunters (true imo) but also that they still work as dithers (a dither doesn't have to be fry safe) and the third that in one certain incidence black neons worked out.

In my experience tetras are all out of the question when it comes to the particular factor of fry predation.

pjg250

Of which the first thread doesn't even ask the question for fry predation, the second mentions that tetras are generally fry hunters (true imo) but also that they still work as dithers (a dither doesn't have to be fry safe) and the third that in one certain incidence black neons worked out.

In my experience tetras are all out of the question when it comes to the particular factor of fry predation.
Fair points! I guess I got caught up in seeing what I wanted to see here. I can remove these to another tank in favor of something else for sure.

I saw marble hatchetfish as an option. Have you ever worked with those?

MacZ

I saw marble hatchetfish as an option. Have you ever worked with those?
Not in my own tanks, only in one I looked after for a while, which was a biotope community so breeding wasn't a thing. Going just by knowing their feeding behaviour I would deem them surely fry safe. But as they tend to jump when startled I would not use them as dithers. I'm a sucker for pencilfish anyway. :D

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I would leave the 2 fish and not other(s) until I was sure that they were not compatible. If you do decide to add additional panduros then it is best for all fish concerned to re-arrange the tank's decor.

pjg250

Well, I've removed the six black neon tetras from this tank, which taught me a valuable lesson about making sure that I'm critically reading before making a decision. I never want to remove six tetras from a planted 40 gallon breeder again...

These two will have the tank to themselves until I can pick up some N. marginatus.

I still think I might have two females, but I don't have access to a male anyway, so it can't hurt to give them some time and see what happens.

pjg250

I´ve also used them in tank with fry for several years. Never seen a single fry snatched.
Good to know. I'm not in love with black neon tetras by any means, so I'm just going to wait until I can get some pencilfish just to be safe.

There's nothing super appealing to me about neons that I can't just observe in my harlequin rasboras in another of my tanks, and most pencilfish are around the same price as neons in my general area.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….