• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Panduro Blackwater, Aggressive Female!

Joe Turner

Hi Guys,

I've been a lurker on this forum for quite a while, and have in that time absorbed a lot of information.

The time has come however to post my 2 cents, a 110l Blackwater, specifically set up to breed Apisto's.

I started off with a beautiful group of A. atathualpa, however the whole shipment died (in the shop) and only one female survived in my setup.

So. I turned to A. panduro.

I picked the best male and female from a group of about 50. Once in the tank they looked great together, investigating the new surroundings side by side. Next morning, male is gone. I let a few days pass and dug around the tank looking for him. Nope, gone.

So, I go and get another, which is subsequently bullied much like the first one must have been.

In an attempt to spread the aggression, I added another 2 females. So far, it seems to be going OK. I see the male every now and then, whilst the other two sub dominant females are frequently seen. The dominant female looks incredible! Canary yellow with jet black patches on her lateral side and chin.

Nothing gets near her, or is allowed near food (they are all well fed, I just spread live bloodworm and brine shrimp all over).

There is plenty driftwood, almond leaves, floating plants (Frogbit) for them to use as cover, as well as 5/6 Nannostomus beckfordi.

Should I expect this aggression to slowly diminish as they mature together? Or am I better just trying to remove this female?

I will post a full tank thread with in depth photo's soon, I just wanted to fire a question at you guys :)

Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

abrooks12376

My female is a psycho too, male can take it though, he forced the last fem. to jump the tank. Funny thing is I have a glass top, she hit a hole the size of a quarter to escape. They're extremely aggressive apistos. Not that I have a ton of experience but she literally kills snails when in spawn, she flips them and won't let them right themselves and they die.. it's awesome... love my panduros..

Joe Turner

I have since removed the largest female as she was driving the smaller ones to the point of death. Next female has stepped up and has put on her spawning colours, defending the ceramic cave in the middle of the tank. I'm considering adding a second spawning site such as a piece of slate, to encourage another female to establish a territory.

Fingers crossed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….