• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A Pair? Help!

Taeniatus

5 Year Member
I have a 2 inch female kribensis, and a 4 inch male. She shakes at him and her belly gets redish, but he has no interest whatso ever. He guards the coconut, and wont let her near. He is a dull grey, no spawning colors. These fish are from the same batch, is this effecting their spawning?
T.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
T...sounds like she's either trying to get his attention or showing him she's a she in the hopes he'll give up the cave and not thrash her. I've got a pair in my 125g like that. They spawn every now and then, but if I hadn't been watching them the last 2 years, you'd never know by first impression that they are a pair. Seems like she always has a headache or he's sulking about something. Then, after a couple weeks, both their heads are peeking out of the pot. That means fry are soon to follow, usually.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
They aren't concerned with that. If they do reproduce, watch the fry. If you get a lot of deformities or weak fry they die off at the drop of a hat, they might be genetically weak and maybe some new blood in the line might help.

Taeniatus

5 Year Member
re..

Well, he lets her in the coconut now, but I still dont see any spawning colors from Him, but whenever She passes by Him, She brightens in color and shakes, He ignores Her.
I think i'm gonna wait a month, and if there is no spawn, replace the male.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….