• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A Ortegai ID

BrooklynTankster

This is my first post and I have my first Apisto. I am seeing lots of situations where we may be purchasing a different apisto than what is being sold to us so I thought I would do an ID check. This was sold to me as a male Apisto Ortegai. Does everyone agree? Can you let me know how you can tell?
Apisto1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It looks like A. cf. ortegai (Pebas), part of the paratype forms of A. ortegai, but genetically a different species. It was formerly called A. sp. Pebas. The true A. ortegai is much more colorful and shows a double caudal patch shaped more like an infinity symbol, where both patches are nearly the same size and shape. Your fish shows a wedge shaped caudal patch, where the posterior patch is larger than the patch in front of it. Females in brood dress are easy to separate. A. ortegai females show 2 spots on the flanks while A. cf. ortegai females show 4 - 5 spots.

BrooklynTankster

Mike, thanks so much for the detailed reply. I had very limited options at the store but I like him anyway. I am looking forward to learning much more about Apistos.

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
I noticed that the shop in Clifton NJ has A. ortegai on its current stock list - & A.kullanderi! They're usually pretty accurate when it comes to apistos, but your fish is definitely not an ortegai.

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
Apistos do great in Brooklyn tap water. I've kept and bred many species without any problems. Your fish looks very much like A. sp. Steel Blue, which is usually sold as A. borellii, A. agassizii or "Neon Head".

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….