• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A Nijsseni or A Panduro

gwarnant

5 Year Member
A friend gave me an unhappy male Apisto. He had overstocked a 200l dwarf Cichlid community tank with the inevitable result when breeding commenced.

Amongst the fish he had in there where a pair each of Nijsseni and Panduro of which only one cowering male survived but he did not know whether it was the male Nijsseni or Panduro.

Whatever it is now recovering nicely in my quarantine tank. I think it's a Nijsseni - on the basis that from 'Sudamerikanische Zwergcichliden' I'd expect a Panduro to have a more pointed tail. But he's way off the colours of my Nijsseni - hardly surprising as he's happy and got a mate.

Could anyone confirm the identification?

Here's three pictures - apologies for the quality.

Jeff

apisto1.jpg

apisto2.jpg

apisto3.jpg

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi Jeff,

Ignore the pointed tail and concentrate on the dorsal fin.

With A. nijsseni, the dorsal shoud be a uniform height with no serrations (top should be flat).

With A. panduro, the dorsal will have a serrated top edge towards the front of the fish.

Apistogramma panduro (male), note serrations along top edge of dorsal fin:
apist_panduro_male_001.jpg

Andrew

gwarnant

5 Year Member
Thanks

Thanks Andrew

I think I may have to wait a couple of weeks to do that.

He was pretty shell-shocked and very nervous when I got him. He has only just started emerging when I'm near over the past few days when he's clearly begun to associate me and food. I've not yet seen his dorsal fin extended.

Jeff

gwarnant

5 Year Member
Thanks

Thanks for your help.

From Andrew the dorsal fin is not serrated (Nijsseni)

And from Petfrd on the tail the colouring is yellow with small/indistinct black dot (Nijsseni again).

I'll get a Nijsseni female and see how things develop.

Thanks

Jeff

Lolojil

5 Year Member
I think that is a male A. nijsseni.

The tail should be blue if it has A.panduro and it is yellow.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….