• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Macmasteri

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
I have recently required a young trio of these. They are very interesting fish and I would like to attempt spawning them. Currently I have them in a community planted tank with some juvinile angels, a group of pseudomagil gertrudae (gertrude's blue eye rainbows), and a couple guppy pairs. Soon I will be moving these all to a much larger planted tank. I am wondering if I should keep them with this community or move them to their own tank with something as a dither and what to use for dithers with them. I have several things I can use for this.

For water paremeters my pH is 6.4 out of the tap and ranges from that down to 6.0 in some of my tanks, KH 35.8ppm & GH 57.7ppm. So it sits within range of the water quality I need for these fish.

Is there anything else I can do for them to encourage spawning besides good food and water quality?

Thanks,
Genn

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you really want to get fry, I suggest that you put the trio in at least a 30 gallon long aquarium (36x12"/90X30cm). Otherwise breed as a pair. Macs can be pretty nasty. Dithers can be any surface dwelling fish that doesn't need a school, like pencilfish. Otherwise your wate seem ideal. Also feed a lot of live & frozen foods. Good luck!

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
Well I dont have a 30 long, but I have a few 20 longs. They measure 30 x 12 inches. The next thing up I have would be my 45 and 50 gallons @ 4ft x 12in., which are slated for african cichlids. The tank they are in now is a 35 which has the same bottom dimensions as a 20 long, but is taller. I suppose I'll toss a pair together and see what happens. I really need more tanks. LOL heh... I always need more tanks. I have empty tanks, but their all between 10 and 20 gallons, the 20's being longs(my favorite tank size for dwarfs). I cant wait till after feb when our lease is up and we move to a place where I can expand some more. LOL MORE TANKS MORE TANKS!!! Means room for more fish and growing fry!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanuhrei

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(