• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Iniridae sexing

cdawson

5 Year Member
What are the keys to sexing Iniridae, do ONLY the females carry the pelvic spot? Or do males carry it as well? I know the males have longer ventral fins, but in a crowded setup it's very difficult to pick out the females.

BTW I am sure they're iniridae and not pertensis

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If your iniridae are not sexable now then they are too young. Males have a high sail-like dorsal fin and long thread-like ventral fins. The females do not. Just got back from my speaking trip to Norway & really need to sleep!

cdawson

5 Year Member
Some of the males are sexable for sure, it looks like there are some females now after letting them settle for a few weeks.

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
how many did you get, and what size tank did you put them in to? I noticed that a bunch of the iniridae at Big Al's had sold. I would recommend throwing a bag or peat moss right into thier tank as well to get the pH nice and low, since the shipment Big Al's got was all wild fish.

cdawson

5 Year Member
Apisto Mike said:
how many did you get, and what size tank did you put them in to? I noticed that a bunch of the iniridae at Big Al's had sold. I would recommend throwing a bag or peat moss right into thier tank as well to get the pH nice and low, since the shipment Big Al's got was all wild fish.

I'm already well ahead of you =)

They're currently in a 15g growing out, where I'll split them up in about 2 months into seperate tanks. I bought 8 of them, yes I know it's a bit crowded but they're eating well, water chemistry is perfect and no signs of stress. They're also still rather small.

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
I guess it is I who is ahead with a 20 gallon with a male trying to get his 2 females to breed with him, but the stuck up snobs wont. P.M. me if your interested in getting rid of an extra female or two or trading females.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….