• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. hongsloi

Brown Water

Alright, I am usaualy quite laid back with cichlid behavior. I know males will squabble, chase females. Females will protect their eggs and so on... But, I am starting to worry about my hongsloi. I think they spawned a few days ago and ate the clutch of eggs. It was the first attemp from them, common acurance IMO. I have found that the more you leave them alone the better. I didn't confirm the spawn by checking the cave but the female was plump and yellow, and wouldn't leave the site much for a couple days. Now she is dark dark grey, and the male will not stop displaying to her and chasing her around the tank. I have watched cichlids for years, angels, dwarfs, ca/sa cichlids, but have never seen such aggression befor. I can not get any more hongsloi from any Lfs so loosing the female would be quite devistating to plans of rasing and breeding. Let me know if I am just being a worry wort or if this is something I need to be concerned with.

regani

5 Year Member
provide some additional cover for the female to hide. floating pipes are also a good option; once the target of aggression/chasing is out of the bottom area and out of sight things tend to calm down.

Brown Water

Its so strange. One minute they are coexisting peacefully next minute the male wont leave her alone. I shall add more cover and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You might want to partition the tank with a perforated tank separator. Then place only one breeding site close to the partition. The female will have peace, the male can still see the female, and when the time comes for spawning the male can fertilize the eggs through the divider. I happened for me (unintentionally) with A. agassizii that I didn't want to spawn. Nature finds a way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….