• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cf. personata F0

Ekona

5 Year Member
A WC pair of A. cf. personata arrived today. Nice population. This is how they look from importers couple of hours after arrival. Once the fins heal up and grow back out, this pair should be real stunners.

Attachments

• Personata male D1.png
    Personata male D1.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 85
  • Personata Male D1a.png
    Personata Male D1a.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 90
  • Personata Pair Display D1.png
    Personata Pair Display D1.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 95
  • Personata Pair Display D1b.png
    Personata Pair Display D1b.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 86
  • Personata Male face.png
    Personata Male face.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 84

Ekona

5 Year Member
Beautiful! Do you know where they were collected?
Tom, I don't, but I'll check. Just a few more photos. Do these resemble the form "Mitu"?

Attachments

• personata Male Full Flare 2.png
    personata Male Full Flare 2.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
  • Personata Male Fin flare good.png
    Personata Male Fin flare good.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • Personata Male fin face.png
    Personata Male fin face.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Tom C

5 Year Member
Do these resemble the form "Mitu"?
Is there one Mitú form of A. cf. personata?

East of Mitú several small "Caños" could be found. They are all tributaries to the Río Vaupés.
This is one of them, the Caño_Ceima:
resizeimage.aspx

Several of the Caños have a population/form of A. cf. personata:

A. cf. personata from the Caño Mituseño, Mitú:
resizeimage.aspx

A. cf. personata from the Caño_Ceima, Mitú:
resizeimage.aspx

A. cf. personata from the Caño Cucura, Mitú:
resizeimage.aspx

This form of A. cf. personata is also from the Mitú area, but from an unknown stream:
resizeimage.aspx

West of Mitú, on the opposite side of the Río Vaupés, is the Río Cuduyari. This river also has it's population
of A. cf. personata:
resizeimage.aspx

A large area in the eastern Colombia seems to be "infected" with A. cf. personata forms/populations, and I have also collected some of the populations in other drainages than the Río Vaupés:

A. cf. personata from a remote area in the Río Inirida drainage:
resizeimage.aspx

In some moods some of these showed more red:
resizeimage.aspx

A. cf. personata from a Caquetá-Japurá location:
resizeimage.aspx

and A. cf. personata from the Río Içana drainage, Colombia
resizeimage.aspx

Until we see the results of genetic analyses, we won't know if all of these are just forms of the same species, or if they all, or some of them, are separate species.

But it would still be interesting to know where your fish were collected...

Last edited:

Ekona

5 Year Member
Is there one Mitú form of A. cf. personata?

East of Mitú several small "Caños" could be found. They are all tributaries to the Río Vaupés.
This is one of them, the Caño_Ceima:
resizeimage.aspx

Several of the Caños have a population/form of A. cf. personata:

A. cf. personata from the Caño Mituseño, Mitú:
resizeimage.aspx

A. cf. personata from the Caño_Ceima, Mitú:
resizeimage.aspx

A. cf. personata from the Caño Cucura, Mitú:
resizeimage.aspx

This form of A. cf. personata is also from the Mitú area, but from an unknown stream:
resizeimage.aspx

West of Mitú, on the opposite side of the Río Vaupés, is the Río Cuduyari. This river also has it's population
of A. cf. personata:
resizeimage.aspx

A large area in the eastern Colombia seems to be "infected" with A. cf. personata forms/populations, and I have also collected some of the populations in other drainages than the Río Vaupés:

A. cf. personata from a remote area in the Río Inirida drainage:
resizeimage.aspx

In some moods some of these showed more red:
resizeimage.aspx

A. cf. personata from a Caquetá-Japurá location:
resizeimage.aspx

and A. cf. personata from the Río Içana drainage, Colombia
resizeimage.aspx

Until we see the results of genetic analyses, we won't know if all of these are just forms of the same species, or if they all, or some of them, are separate species.

But it would still be interesting to know where your fish were collected...
Tom, fantastic documentation of the various forms from different collecting locations. Thanks for sharing them! Given that this "species" is now becoming more widely available in the aquarist market, those who have an interest in such information will benefit greatly form your knowledge. I have not heard back from the source of the ones I got and I highly doubt a specific stream location can be allocated to them. Sorry to say. Although I would say the ones I have look most closely like the forms have have posted in pictures 4 and 9 and to the ones pictured from Aquarium Glaser https://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/25...dwarf-cichlids/apistogramma-personata-mitu-2/. that seem to show more yellow on the fins, eyes and anterior portions of the body, rather that what appear to be a more blue form.

Tom C

5 Year Member
..... that seem to show more yellow on the fins, eyes and anterior portions of the body, rather that what appear to be a more blue form.
This is a form showing both yellow and blue... it was collected primo 2023 in a remote area of eastern Colombia where nobody (until now) collects ornamental fish. Beautiful, isn't it?

resizeimage.aspx

Ekona

5 Year Member
This is a form showing both yellow and blue... it was collected primo 2023 in a remote area of eastern Colombia where nobody (until now) collects ornamental fish. Beautiful, isn't it?

resizeimage.aspx
Yes, absolutely. And the remote collecting location is very interesting as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….