• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Cacatuoides Orange Flash & Red in same tank?

elwray

I recently lost my male Orange Flash cacatuoides, but the female is very healthy. I am having a lot of trouble finding a single male Orange Flash locally, however there are several varieties of reds available in my area that I have found (NYC area).

Would a red variety male cacatuoides live peacefully with a female orange flash variety, or would they potentially become very territorial similar to different species mixing?

I will not be breeding these fish or selling fry (lack of time/space to provide for breeding), so I do not have concerns regarding diminishing colors down the line. I just miss having a beautiful male cac, and I feel like the female is lonely!

Or alternatively, does anyone know where in the NYC area I might be able to find these fish locally?

Thanks!

gerald

5 Year Member
They are just man-made color varieties of the same species, and a "pair" of mixed varieties has the same chance of getting along well (or not) as any other pair of cacatuoides. I'm pretty sure that a lone Apisto will not feel lonely. if you want to get a male, do so for your own enjoyment, not because the female "needs" a mate.

elwray

Thanks for the information, gerald, and confirmation that they are indeed the same species. I will not limit my search to just Orange Flash varieties now.

I thought perhaps the female was hiding behind the wood/plants more often than when the male was present, but perhaps she has not adjusted to the move just yet (though two weeks seems like it should be long enough...).

I will pursue a male A. cacatuoides to add some more color back to the tank. Thank you!

Pellegrino

I recently lost my male Orange Flash cacatuoides, but the female is very healthy. I am having a lot of trouble finding a single male Orange Flash locally, however there are several varieties of reds available in my area that I have found (NYC area).

Would a red variety male cacatuoides live peacefully with a female orange flash variety, or would they potentially become very territorial similar to different speciese3èes mixing?

I will not be breeding these fish or selling fry (lack of time/space to provide for breeding), so I do not have concerns regarding diminishing colors down the line. I just miss having a beautiful male cac, and I feel like the female is lonely!

Or alternatively, does anyone know where in the NYC area I might be able to find these fish locally?

Thanks!
Elwray I live I Bergen County New Jersey there are about four shops around here that have many types of cacatuoides hit me up at [email protected] I'll give you my # I'd be glad to help out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….