• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help sexing my apisto cac. Orange flash

Lhagamuchi

Hello, I am new to cichlids :) have kept fw fish for several years but need some help with my brand new apistos. I know this has been discussed many times but it seems like I might have two males or two females. Unsure which. One is larger, more orange and more aggressive (constant chasing and tail slapping). The other has a yellow tinge and more rounded back fin but similar otherwise. She does not seem too bothered by the other one, just swims away and has not hidden at all.

first photo is supposed male on left. Second is supposed female. Third is supposed male again.

thanks!

Attachments

• 345C09CE-D8A6-4AD5-8033-403378EEE092.jpeg
    345C09CE-D8A6-4AD5-8033-403378EEE092.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 113
  • 6C42AF18-C70F-471A-9541-688D5DAE1EC0.jpeg
    6C42AF18-C70F-471A-9541-688D5DAE1EC0.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 122
  • 02A5CB5C-103A-4E43-83AE-8E334145DFD4.jpeg
    02A5CB5C-103A-4E43-83AE-8E334145DFD4.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 108

Lhagamuchi

Thank you so much for the response Mike! Yes these are domestic and local bred - they are actually so close to each other in coloration even the fish shop was unsure. I didn’t see them easing up on the chasing and displaying so I was wondering if they’re the same gender or maybe I got a sneaker male.

anewbie

Outside Europe sponge filters (Lufthebefilter) are the norm, Eddy.
I wonder why they are not the norm in europe. Sponge filters seem like the best sort of filter 'cept for taking up space - but even then they provide places where fishes can hide. I usually put a stone under mine so they can hide behind it or under it.

Eddy. E.

I wonder why they are not the norm in europe. Sponge filters seem like the best sort of filter 'cept for taking up space - but even then they provide places where fishes can hide. I usually put a stone under mine so they can hide behind it or under it.

I am sorry. I was just wondering and overlooked the sponge filter.

MacZ

Nobody really knows. And I don't even have a good guess. I have to admit though, these things are such an eyesore in a homeaquarium. Mattenfilters have always been much more popular here, which hide the airline and bubbles and just give you a black or blue background. And much more filter surface.

anewbie

Nobody really knows. And I don't even have a good guess. I have to admit though, these things are such an eyesore in a homeaquarium. Mattenfilters have always been much more popular here, which hide the airline and bubbles and just give you a black or blue background. And much more filter surface.
Yea it is a mix bag; in my aquariums the matten filters are nice but a bit of a pain to glue in the supports; on the other hand in most of my aquariums the sponge filters are so over grown with plants you can't even see them. I guess with black water tank you can put them behind hardscape. I guess over all a matten filter (which is just a giant sponge) is well i don't really know ;) I mean in the 29s i like how they 'look' but they do cause their fair share of problems i don't have with the sponge filters (mine has 'jet stream' and small fishes will sometime swim behind them and get trapped - i put screening inside them to prevent it but they find unique ways to abuse that ;)

MacZ

I haven't used mattenfilters in quite a while, as most people over here I have a canister filter running. Takes the least space in the tank.

Mazan

Never tried a matten filter, I have canister filters for the larger tanks and top filters (which basically act the same way) for the two smaller ones (though I would prefer canisters on these ideally). I have used sponge filters in a small fry/quarantine tank and use small sponges as pre filters on the filter intakes of the two smaller tanks, these can then be used to set up a fry/quarantine/hospital tank as and when necessary. They are mostly hidden by plants, wood etc.

anewbie

Never tried a matten filter, I have canister filters for the larger tanks and top filters (which basically act the same way) for the two smaller ones (though I would prefer canisters on these ideally). I have used sponge filters in a small fry/quarantine tank and use small sponges as pre filters on the filter intakes of the two smaller tanks, these can then be used to set up a fry/quarantine/hospital tank as and when necessary. They are mostly hidden by plants, wood etc.
Here is a picture of one of my aquariums with both sponge filter and matten filter; it is one i frequently post so you'/ve seen it before. The matten filter is opposite side of the angels and is sort of visible.
29_nov_12_22.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….