• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A Atahualpa WC

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Congratulations on your fry, as A. atahualpa is a black water fish, and not an easy species to breed. It may be the parents are still young or it might be a water quality issue, as A. atahualpa fry survival is enhanced in very soft, acid water.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is hard to say what went wrong. We just don't have enough information. It might be water changes, but I usually find that I lose fry if I don't feed often enough or use live foods. Other fish in the tank are another possibility. If you describe your aquarium (size, decor, water values), foods, and fish in the tank we might be able to suggest changes for the next brood's success.

hapaluku

5 Year Member
Hello Mike and others..
I have spoken with Tom C by mail, and found out the water PH was wrong.
But the Aquarium is a (80*40*40 = 128L), with no other fisk but 1 pair A Atahualpa.
My PH is 5.5, "rain water" with drift wood and leaves, and with air-filter.

The last 2 times is has happend for me, in august with A Eremnopyge, and yesterday with A Atahualpa.
I feed the fry with artemia, not live artemia, but powder.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Tom has collected and bred A. atahualpa, so he knows the right water values. I definitely would try feeding live foods. Apisto fry are attracted to movement. Dry/frozen foods are not eaten as eagerly by fry. The adult will eat baby brine shrimp, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….