• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Agassizii help

twotone12valve

IMAG1308-1.jpg

I've had this male around five months and purchased it as A. Agassizii double red but I'm not 100% sure that's what I've got. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Single red, double red, whatever. These are more descriptive names than color strains like those of A. cacatuoides. To me they are all Red Agassizii. Your idea might (probably does) vary. Still, it's a good looking fish.

twotone12valve

Thanks for the breakdown, I'm in the process of breeding him out and did not want to steer people wrong with a description that isn't fitting.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Mike is right, that's a beautiful male. However, the picture is that of a regular agassizii. The double red has a more yellow/orange color body with red fins that your male clearly lacks. Imported fish both male and female are bright orange/red since they are so doped up even Lance Armstrong would say ' That's cheating!'

Here are pictures of 'Double Red' male and female (no doping).

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….