• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

5 gallons tanks

jimjon

5 Year Member
read that some pple are are using 5g tanks for breeding, is it advisable?

Z Man

5 Year Member
OK, I admit I do it in 5's. You may have even seen it on my site. Usually when I get new pairs of Apisto's I keep them in 10's for a while to see how they are with each other. If they breed and she leaves the male alone, I most likely will transfer them to a 5 when the fry are a week or so old. Maybe I have the luxury of a few pair all the time so if I loose one partner I am not wiped out completely. But yes they work for me but remember it's a bare tank with sponge filter, at least 3 flowerpots and a clump of java moss. This way when they breed, when I remove the parents, the fry don't have a hard time finding the food I supply. I have seen some posts here about removing fry or eggs. I almost never move them but always the parents as they will adjust to the new water conditions a lot easier.

Z Man

5 Year Member
Which one's are you thinking about? I have never had any problems with any and have bred over 25 different species. I know some people say this one is more aggressive than that one but it could be something as simple as water quality, # of hiding places or size of plants. If you give everybody enough hiding places they should be OK. I know I'll get some messages about their nasty Apisto's so I guess I've been very lucky. Don't get me wrong. I certainly don't breed every Apisto I maintain. You know the old saying, "Easy for you, difficult for me."

jimjon

5 Year Member
is nijsseni consider a 'more' aggressive apisto?

i'm thinking of partitioning my tanks with glass sheets, will it work this way? This will implies that the various pair can see each other.

thks

Z Man

5 Year Member
I never was able to breed Nijsseni and never got any back since I've been working with RO water. Right now I do have 2 pair of Panduro in a 10 without any problems.

Neil

I have alway found all fish from the nijsenni complex to be more aggressive the the norm. They, IMO, do not make the best candidates for a 5g. But it depends on the individuals as much as the species.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….