• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

200g planted aquarium

A

Angel1

Hi. I am new to keeping freshwater, I have kept Saltwater for years. I just recently purchased a 200g tank that was used for saltwater but has now been srubbed and ready for fresh. I also has a 30 gallon sump, nothing fancy, just the water going in and out, bio balls, and heaters, thats it. That lighting on the tank is something else. There are 3 250w mh and 2 6500 tubes. As I said it was used for Salt.

Now, the questions. I hope you don't mind, I have a few.

1) What type of filtration do you recommend for a planted tank this size, with lots of "homes" for dwarf cichlids such as the Apistogramma Borellli and Ramirez/Ram species? Of course there will be other dither fish in there, such as Rummy nose (recommened from another post and I believe is a good choice), maybe hatchet fish, maybe some corys.

2) Would I need to use Peat?

3) What type of substrate (gravel or sand) would the plants grow the best in?

4) Would using RO/DI water help the plants grow better? In the area we live in the water is hard so I will need to so something to bring the water down to the softness recommend for the dwarfs.

5) Is there a type of plant that I should start with as a newbie to freshwater plants that will grow with ease and that the dwarfs will better, such as bushy vs non? (silly question, sorry)

Again, sorry for all of the questions, but I want to make sure I do everything as right as I can before I do any purchases. I do not have the tank water running or anything yet. I wanted to make sure I had all the hardware purchased first that I might need. Thanks

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
Here are my thoughts... I am sure Matt and Rick will chime in here soon.

What type of filtration do you recommend for a planted tank this size

If you are going to go with a densly planted aquascape, I would take advantage of the overflows you described and use a sump with cannister filters. A plant tank that size is going to need carbon dioxide. Tanks that size usually use filters with a lot of current. You will want some current to keep the water rolling over inthe tank, but not too much. Using a sump will allow you to use a lot of filtration if you want it.

with lots of "homes" for dwarf cichlids

You will want some big pieces of driftwood for your big tank. I am not trying to give you a hard sell, but if you contact me via private message I can probably help you get some primo LARGE pieces for a fraction of what you are going to pay at a LFS.

Would using RO/DI water help the plants grow better?
AND
Would I need to use Peat?

You will want the RO.. 200 gallons is way to much to try softening with peat. If you need a unit there are Spectrapure systems for sale through our store. If you get driftwood you will get tannins.. which is also what you get from peat that is good.

What type of substrate (gravel or sand) would the plants grow the best in

I think that you will get several opinions on this one. I like to use a layer of Flourite, or other plant specific gravel that provides a source of iron to the root zone (not laterite), on the bottom... about 1/2 inch thick. I would cover that with about 2-3" of a small-medium grain (size 30 is what I use) dark gravel. You will not be deep-vacuuming this gravel bed if you have lots of plants, so the Flourite will stay on the bottom.

Is there a type of plant that I should start with as a newbie to freshwater plants that will grow with ease and that the dwarfs will better, such as bushy vs non?

Light will be your limiting factor (you did not ask about that). A tank that large will need a lot of light to do the bright light plants. I like Anubias... lots of Anubias.. but that is just me. They do not need much light. I also like lotus and Crinums (I am kind of West Africa oriented). When you get to the plants... GO BIG!!! You will want the big stuff that grows big. If you get plenty of light, I would consider loading up on the big Aponogetons like ulvaceous... they grow fast, take up lots of space and look GREAT in huge tanks.

Good Luck!

aspen

5 Year Member
"!CHIME!"

WOW, a 200 gal apisto tank!!

>>'...filtration...'

it would depend on whether you want to use co2 or not. i would not run that tank without it. that means a filter that doesn't agitate the water and let the co2 out too much. the plants will create lots of o2 during the day to last the night provided you have lots of growth. i would buy 2- 350 magnums, because i have one and really like it. they are very simple and easy to clean. i would put 2 250 watt heaters in that tank btw.

>>'...peat...'

yes, but i am leaning towards using soft water, to minimise the peat i need. meaning, it takes a lot less peat to make the water's ph lower, if the water if soft. this means the water can be seen through with the fish in it.

>>'...substrate...'

that is a personal issue. we all find what works and stick with it. i use pure sand with jobes plant spikes (fern and palm) under plants like swords that need it. really ime, almost any plant will grow without an enriched substrate providing you use water column fert.

>>'...r/o...'

you should consider an r/o necessary if you want to keep spawns of apistos, or any other soft water fish. but, lots of people keep their fish in water that is not 'suitable', because tank bred apistos can handle harder water. it would depend on how hard your water is. what are the parms of your aged tap?

>>'...easy plant...'

my favourite easy plant is hygrophylia polysperma. in fact, any new tank (imo) should be started with such a fast growing plant, to bring things 'into balance' as quickly as possible. as long as you don't live in the southern u.s., you should be able to find this plant. it is banned there, due to it's rep as being an 'invasive species'. it is the fastest growing plant i know of, and very easy to grow, and grow and grow.

you are embarking on a journey. this is a big tank, and will require a lot of thought. please read this article,

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

and do lots of other reading, and keep us posted, ok? i'm a bit envious, that sounds like quite a tank!

lots of luck, rick

farm41

5 Year Member
600 watts or close to it, that's going to be a lot of light. That's what I keep thinking about. I like to keep my tanks at 3.5 watts per gallon. 3 watts per gallon or close to it should do it for you. I think 3 halides or 6 96w compact flourescents. A couple of fans to keep the heat down.

Pressurized co2 is the only way to go for a tank that size, I would at least go with a 10lb tank and maybe consider a 20lb. A very efficient diffuser will be in order too.

Your sump should be adequate for filtration.

I like to use 1 bag of flourite for each square foot of tank floor and then top off with the gravel of your choice.

Let's hear about your water parameters and then go from there. What is your Ph, Gh, and Kh? Maybe you don't need anything else.

A

Angel1

Thanks for the responses.

I am definately going to be doing some more research on everything that you have suggested. I don't have the water params of the aged water but I will tomorrow, I am letting some water age for a day or so before I test it and then I will be able to give you guys a better reading.

Thanks for all of the info. This board is great and everyone is so freindly. Thanks again. Will post with my readings tomorrow. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….