• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 Apistos to ID

HaakonH

5 Year Member
I was sent 2 different species of Apisto from my supplier the other day, he didn't have a name for them except A.sp."Colombia" and A.sp."Belem". Both are wilds. I'm thinking A.iniridae for the Colombian one, and perhaps A.caetei for the Brazilian one from Belem?

Attachments

• IMG_1711.JPG
    IMG_1711.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_1685.JPG
    IMG_1685.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 497

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Well, if so then the steel blue is a wild type and comes from Belem...which is not likely :) But thanks for your input!

Haakon

Melanochromis

Hahaha. I'd bet some people think there are "wild Steel Blue" out there.

On a side note, what is the difference between a really colored up caetei specimen and a Steel Blue? I keep a group of all-male Steel Blue and the less colorful ones in my tank look like the right fish in your first picture. I never saw a real caetei though, so I don't really know the difference.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'd agree on the the Colombian fish being A. iniridae.

Now the funny thing on the Brazil fish...I got in a bag of wild A. caetei from the Catae River last fall. Once the fish were in a tank I would have sworn they were A. sp. "Steel Blue"! Or at least one of the base fish for sp. "Steel Blue" if it truly is a man mad fish. I kept back a few of them and they spawn pretty easily. They are in a tank with bad glass so I may have to move them to get some pictures. Now the funny part. I had a friend stop by to get some fish and supplies and she was in need of some female sp. "Steel Blue" for a male she had. She took a few female caetei Catae (I also had caetei from another location at the time but they never settled in but did look different). Her male killed one of the females within a few days but has since spawned with the remaining female multiple times resulting in fry that are currently growing out. I'm in line to get some of those fry so I can compare them to the wild stock I have. We may never know for sure but if sp. "steel blue" is a legitimate species found in the wild then it may very well be caetei from Catae.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The reason I don't think that Haakon's Belem fish A. caetei is that A. caetei (and all other caetei-complex species/forms) develop a strongly cross-striped caudal fin pattern. Haakon's fish appear to have an unpatterned caudal fin. Most Steel-blue specimens show some type of caudal pattern, but not all.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Interesting. I will try to get better photos tomorrow, in the meantime here's another couple of shots:

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 410

HaakonH

5 Year Member
I forgot to bring my camera to work today, but I can confirm that they have no pattern whatsoever in their caudal.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
I took some better photos today, hopefully they can make a proper ID possible. Could they be a nice form of A.taeniata? Does this species occur around Belem?

Haakon

Attachments

• IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_1734.JPG
    IMG_1734.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 421

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Good photos. The first is very helpful. Notice how strongly the vertical bars curve/bow compared to bars on most apistos. This is a diagnostic feature of A. sp. Wangenflecken (a resticulosa-complex species). Back in the late 70s/early 80s we got 'A. resticulosa' (what we thought it was back then) with a lot of metallic blue and red on the head. Your fish seem to be similar to this population (if not the same), but a bit more colorful. This fish is known to occur on the Ilha de Marajó, the large island that separates the mouth of the Amazon from the mouth of the Rio Tocantins. Most Marajó fish are exported from Belem.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Mike to the rescue again, thank you very much :D I was actually looking at A.sp."Wangenflecken" in the DATZ book earlier today, and it seems like you're spot on!

Haakon

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sigh, what are you people going to do without me for a month while I'm in Peru next month?:rolleyes: Don't ask TomC for help. I'll be going with him!:D Eat your hearts out.

Melanochromis

So it's not only a beautiful wild-type fish, but also an unusual species (I don't know if Wangenflecken is considered unusual or not, but I just never heard of it before). Lucky you!

Sigh, what are you people going to do without me for a month while I'm in Peru next month?:rolleyes: Don't ask TomC for help. I'll be going with him!:D Eat your hearts out.

Wish you a lot of fun there. And please bring back some interesting fish or at least take a lot of pictures to show us :)

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member

I guess the rest of us will just have to step up our game for a while! Just make sure you make it back from your trip so you can correct our mistakes...

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Ah yes, for a month everybody on here will be led to believe they have something completely different than what they actually have! I will do my part though, but yeah I'm sure we'll leave a mess for you to deal with when you return :D What part of Peru are you going to this time?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Travel in the Amazon is always subject to change. It really depends on transportation availability, water levels and ... Still Tom & I have some plans. One will be streams north of Orán, but we really want to travel up the Río Curaray toward Ecuador. Julio Melgar will be with us on this trip. The Curaray isn't really collected commercially nor scientifically. Little is known of the fish in the region. We hope to find some interesting fish.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Sounds really exciting, Mike. Seems like the Peru/Ecuador border area is a hotspot for new fish these days, so I wouldn't be surprised if you found something brand new. I would love to see pics of Loricariids and Characins you find as well, but I know you'll be pretty focused on other stuff ;) Nice to hear Julio Melgar will be with you. I wish you a great trip, looking forward to the report!

Haakon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….