• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1m Rio Negro "São Gabriel da Cachoeira"

PhilipAG

5 Year Member
Hello!

This is my first South American biotope tank

Greetings,
Philip

Tank: 100x40x40

Filtration: Eheim 2228

Lighting: 2x 45W T5 895mm (dimmed)

Substrate: Sand

Decor: Oak wood, alder wood, driftwood, oak leaves

Fauna: 1x Apistogramma cacatuoides(M)
10x Paracheirodon axelrodi
5x Corydoras trillinaetus
1x Carnegiella strigata
1x Ancistrus cf. cirrhorus

Flora: 2x Echinodorus bleheri
2x Echinodorus Red Flame
1x Echinodorus sp. (forgot its name)
1x Echinodorus Red Devil

But in the future the fish(/some plants) will be given or sold to others and replaced by:
4x(maybe 6) Apistogramma mendezi
20x Nannostomus marilynae

But I'm still searching for biotope-correct floating plants. It seems to me that Phyllantus fluitans is one of the only plants that occurs in the Rio Negro(but it should also be noticed at Sao Gabriel) and fits in my tank.

Here's an overall pic:

DSC09594+
by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

PhilipAG

5 Year Member
Thanks!

And Mike, that I also thought, but I never read about these plants occuring at Sao Gabriel.
Thanks anyway, I'll search if they inhabit the Rio Negro.

bseitz234

Nice looking setup! I look forward to seeing updates, especially once you have a few pairs of apistos in there, I'd guess they're going to be quite happy!

I'm curious about the 1x C. strigata- is there a reason you only have 1 in there? I haven't kept this particular species, but I know when I had silver hatchetfish they enjoyed the company of their own kind...

PhilipAG

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot!
As you say I'm doubting wether I should take a male with some females or a group with a male or 2 and again some females.

Yes, there's a reason. Some time ago, I had a terrible desease in the tank and then I thought by myself:
Why don't I just restart with a real biotope aquarium and sell the fish that are left. So I'm desperate to sell this one, but it seems like no one wants to have one. Because I also know the fish doesn't "enjoy" itself.
I just hope I can sell the lonely fish very quick that they can build their lives back up.

bseitz234

Dimensions like that, I might do 2M 3F? I think 1M would be fine, but having a second could add an interesting social dynamic, and it looks like you've got the room and cover to support it. Sorry to hear about your losses- wish I could help, but it would be just as lonely in my care at the moment. Good luck!

PhilipAG

5 Year Member
That's also what I thought.
I'd love to see them in group, because that would let them show more of their natural behaviour.
Maybe I could discuss this in another topic. It really sounds interesting and I'm curious about what others are going to say.

What a pitty, but I don't give up. These fish should be given a proper home.

PhilipAG

5 Year Member

PhilipAG

5 Year Member
Thanks fart!

An update, since it's been a while:

DSC_2974 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_2976 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_2977 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_2979 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_2980 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_2981 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_2982 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_2984 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_2986 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_2994 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_3011 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_3012 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….