• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10g apisto cactuoides tank

SMIGUMZ

5 Year Member
Hello everyone :) I'm new to the site. I've been keeping different varieties of fish for a long time and I want to start a small apisto breeding tank. My plan is to have a male and 2 females to breed. I am currently cycling with 10 zebra danios and should be finished in about 4 more weeks. I have the water conditions set at low gh/kh 0-3 and the ph slightly below neutral currently. I have plenty of driftwood and leaf litter and will add hardy low light plants java moss, grass etc.... and some duckweed to dim the lighting. I plan on replacing the danios with about 5 marbel hatchets. I was wondering if there are any other tank mates I can add to spice up the tank a bit without upsetting the apisto. I was wondering if maybe a bamboo shrimp or snails would be ok? I really like ghost shrimp but I know they will be a tasty snack when the lights go out. Really looking to add a little more realism to the tank. Any ideas or suggestions or because I'm breeding I should keep it to the hatches only. Thanks all input is much appreciated :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A 10 is a bit small. If experienced - and with specimens that are fairly compatible - I know you can breed a pair (not a trio) in a 10. I've done it many times. The problem is that temperament is a bit variable and you might end up with more aggressive specimens. Then there is a good chance that one will eventually kill the other, or stress it enough to lead to illness. The next problem with small tanks is that it is hard to keep the tank clean and pollutant-free without very careful feeding and conscientious water quality maintenance.

abrooks12376

You'll probably end up with a dead girl if you go trio.. a 20l would be much better for that.. i have a trio in a 30l.. one female has the left and one has the right, if they meet in the middle someone's getting slapped.. the make breeds with both, I've had them spawn a week apart.. talk about a war zone..

tobraham

^^ Agreed. I just had 2 out of my 3 female cacatuoides spawn in the span of two days in the same 40 gallon breeder tank. The females are verrrrrry aggressive towards their territory. In a 10 gallon, one would probably kill the other to protect her spawn site. If you must have two females and one male.. try keeping two ten gallon tanks and switching the male between tanks. If you want only one tank, I'd go for a 20+gallon to give both females space. I believe I read somewhere that a female likes a range of about 12''x12'' in a tank.

SMIGUMZ

5 Year Member
Ok I will stick with a pair or look into 30g long to give them ample territory, the water quality I am on top of, I have all the proper test kits, r/o water, moss and driftwood to keep everything in check . I appreciate the input. Any ideas on the tank mates?

abrooks12376

I'm not sure where you're located but petco is doing the big sale now.. if you're wanting raise the fry than a species only would be best.

SMIGUMZ

5 Year Member
I never really thought about what to do with the fry, what do you do with them?

abrooks12376

I give them away, literally. My lfs would take them for store credit or a few bucks each but I'd just assume save the trip and have someone come pick them up. People get really excited over free apistos.. let me tell yoo:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….