• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 gallon tank

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
Hi. I have a 10 gallon tank with 1 siamese fighting fish, 2 guppies, 1 cory and planning to add 2 SAEs. I wanted to keep some dwarf cichlid in it as well, such as ram. Does it sound like a sane choice, or should I go other route? Thanks.

Neil

Sounds OK to me. As long as your filtration can keep up. If the Dwarfs spawn in there, it may be tough for them to guard the babies. But you can worry about that when it happens. There are solutions to all problems.

aspen

5 Year Member
imo, that is fine, except for the sae's. i assume that you are buying them to eat algae. ime, they will only eat the algae, if there is no other food around for them. in other words, they will out compete almost all of those fish for the food when it hits the tank and then will let the algae grow. also, they are not good for that size of tank, they are very fast long swimmers, and are very skittish as well. (have you figured out yet, i would never bother with them again?) oto's are a better choice for a tank that size.

rick

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
you are quite true

I do have otos in tank right now.. they do their job fine, BUT they do nothing about black hair algae which I start to get. Thus the decision to replace otos with SAEs. I am not aware of a better way to get rid of black hair algae.. ;) Please tell me if you know.

Thanks.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Rosey barbs are good for hair algae too. A small group would work well in a 10g and they aren't as annoying to the other fish as SAE's can sometimes be. But, they might nip at the betta...

aspen

5 Year Member
THE BEST FISH for hair algae of any kind is the american flag fish. BUT you would not put even a single male in that tank. and when there is a pair, they are really agressive. i lost my best juvie male ram, when his pectoral fin got ripped off, beause the male 'paired' with the female ram in a 15 gal. females are pretty placid, but will hold their own with dwarfs. there is no better fish for hair algae though, if you can manage their agression. they are hard on fine plants though, like f/i, rotalla.

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….