• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1+4 or 3+3?

peterK

5 Year Member
Hi all

I have about 175 Liter tank. The bottom is 100x35 cm.
And my question:
How many Apistogramma sp. Mamore can I keep in such tank?
Quartet/Quintet (one male plus 3-4 females) or three pairs? I'm going to keep only one species.
I would like to breed them so I'm afraid that in configuration 3+3 it won't be possible to see fry.

What do you think?

Piotr>>>

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it were my tank, I would add 2 males + 4 females. It will probably produce many hours of entertainment watching the males interact with each other (and the females) and the visa versa. If properly designed, you could have all 4 females producing fry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes there are several color morphs. Red & blue tail morphs are found together in the lower Rio Mamoré (Brazil). The same is true for populations from the lower Rio Guaporé (Brazil & Bolivia) where the backs of the males show a more golden color like those seen on A. cf. trifasciata (Rio Guaporé). Another color morph is known from the Río Itonamas (Bolivia) that has a red lower half and a blue upper half. I do know that fish of either the red and the blue morphs will produce males with red or blue tails. This is not a fixed color strain - yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….